17 | chatter; the crinkle of paper

Noah noticed Kaden's foul mood the moment the man swept into the room, running a frustrated hand through his tangled hair. Sweat still glistened on his forehead from rushing back to the dorms.

The dragon said nothing as Kaden found himself a spot on his own bed, seeming to debate whether to throw something or to beat somebody up.

The lamp light had been dimmed for a comfortable reading experience, but instead acted to beat against Kaden's face, highlighting all of his emotions.

When Kaden stood up suddenly, making way towards the door, Noah finally spoke in a low, soft voice.

"What's wrong?"

Kaden froze mid-step. He'd been so distracted in the anger, those whimpered cries still playing back in his mind, that he hardly noticed Noah's appearance. However, he wasn't in much of a mood to play around.

He needed to see Reed.

If that house was one of his marks, then it was part of one of his diabolical plans. Maybe Kaden could use that fact to twist it into his own use.

But maybe that would also put a temporary stop to his current peace.

Was he willing to sacrifice that?

His hand clutched the golden coin in his pocket, feeling it press against his skin. The col of the metal reassured him.

Kaden shook his head. Whether making a move resulted in Reed's watch growing more careful, it didn't matter. He couldn't simply play the bystander when he witnessed the abuse firsthand.

He licked his lips, and smiled at Noah amiably. "Nothing's wrong."

The dragon's gaze was fathomless, seeing through all deceit and making Kaden inexplicably nervous. "Do you need any help, Chauvet?"

"I said nothing's wrong."

"And I'm stating that I can provide help, if necessary."

Noah didn't pry into the details to Kaden's discomfort, nor did he force the other to speak if he didn't want to. He simply put his hand on the table, allowing Kaden to know that he wasn't alone.

The book, closed with a bookmark pressed inside. All his attention was focused on Kaden.

Kaden stared at him, hesitant. It was a way of comfort that worked the best with him, with no pressure to accept the help, but somebody at his back if he were to fall.

A vague warmth ran through Kaden's body.

Hearing no response, Noah adjusted his glasses calmly and opened the page of his book again. Lowering his head, white strands of hair fell over his eyes, his body leaning against the headboard as the orange hue pulsed against his figure.

His fingers strummed against the paper, prominent knuckled bending to turn each page. It was a peaceful scene, an everyday normal.

Kaden fell into a soft daze, the previous fire slowly being smothered.

He walked back over to his bed, sitting down on the feathered covers, sinking his weight into the mattress.

He was being too hasty.

Running over to Reed wouldn't be wise—that man would confirm Arlo's existence, and use that boy to manipulate Kaden further. And it could be a mistake, that the house was marked by Reed.

Investigation was necessary, first and foremost.

He took an unsteady breath, closing his eyes and relaxing to the crinkle of paper at his side, slowly adjusting his emotions. The unbothered breathing, quiet and solemn.