32 | reversal; consequence of power

Presently, one big man and one little man (boy) were having an intense staring competition with each other, seeming to be competing over a person's attention.

Kaden chewed on his food silently, not adding further to the strange chaos. He pushed down his typical languid and teasing air, choosing to ignore the scenery around him. 

What he didn't see, he didn't know.

Noah, across from him, also remained silent and ate his food calmly.

On the two sides of Kaden, Arlo and Niklas glared at each other, as if facing a new enemy. The little boy, after being thoroughly examined and returned to Kaden's care, wanted to monopolize all of the man's attention.

Similarly, Niklas, who took pride and joy in teasing Kaden, ended up frustrated as Arlo clung to the older man, interrupting their conversation.

Honestly though, Niklas found it amusing to tease the clingy child. 

"You're rather childish, don't you realize?" scolded Niklas solemnly.

The child retorted with a pout. "I am a child!"

"While I don't prevent you from talking to your dearest big brother, sir Kaden Chauvet over here, that doesn't mean you should interfere in an adult's conversation."

"But he's not even smiling at you! He doesn't like you!"

"Now, now. That's what you fundamentally don't understand, kiddo. This lovely big brother is actually incredible shy. Whenever he scowls or ignores me, he's actually hiding his embarrassment."

Kaden shot him a glare of warning to stop speaking nonsense. "Niklas."

"See!" Niklas exclaimed, gesturing wildly. "This is his expression of utter love and adoration."

"Do I need to buy you a dictionary, Niklas? Or a brain, perhaps?"

"There he goes, all his words brimming with love."

Kaden arched an eyebrow with a scoff, before scooting his seat further away under Niklas' confusion. "Are you a pervert? I have no intention of meeting your masochistic tendencies."

"...?"

Niklas blinked slowly before his eyes snapped wide.

"...!"

Kaden's lips curled sarcastically as he bit into his food, uninterested to continue speaking. Niklas gaped blankly before hurriedly retorting, "Absolutely not!" Then, after a pause, "I would consider changing my inclinations for you."

"....." The food slipped from Kaden's spoon, dropping back into his plate as he grimaced in disgust. "Do you really have to say that while I'm eating?"

"Hey, you started it! I simply responded."

"If you have nothing good to say, then it's better not to speak."

Arlo snorted, relishing at Niklas' scolding before Kaden turned his gaze onto the trouble-seeking little boy. Since he'd decided to look after the child, he had to take responsibility.

"Eat first, Arlo. If you're hungry later, I won't be able to get you food until after classes end."

The boy snapped his back straight and nodded obediently, playing the role of a perfect student. He solemnly ate his food without making another sound.

Every chew was measured and careful, a picture perfect example of a good child. 

Kaden hadn't meant that the child shouldn't speak at all during the meal, but decided to let the boy do whatever he wanted to do. If there was no harm in it, then he wouldn't stop the boy from seriously eating.