46 | night; a cloak of stars

Message from Lukiyo:

I'm so sorry! It's not an excuse, I literally lost track of days. I'm really sorry! I was rolling around bed thinking, 'Oh, I should edit or something for later', caught sight of the time and date and literally fell off thinking '??? How? How is today Friday??'

Anyways, ahhh, I'm here now!! All the world, wishes and love to you! Thanks for bearing with meeee www 

———xxx———

Kaden sat on his bed, confined within his own locked room as he stared out the glass window to watch students crossing the stone pathways, books under their arms and laughter in the air.

Although he'd found solace in Noah's presence, he'd insisted that the dragon leave on the night of the Devil's Moon.

The skies were dyed in the darkest black, not a star or a cloud in sight. He wasn't the only one remaining indoors—many, out of paranoia and superstition, chose to stay inside.

Others, however, like the students roaming outside, were more fascinated by the obscure moon and took it upon themselves to place themselves underneath it.

Classes weren't cancelled, but many took upon self-study or lessons that wouldn't injure a student if missed. Or so Niklas had said, after banging loudly on the door in the early morning, waking up Noah at the same time.

The dragon, while agreeing to leave the room, planted himself outside the door stubbornly and refused to move.

Kaden, recalling the hinges that had been broken last time he argued, agreed.

Noah had left to attend his lessons with Niklas, noting that he'd be back as soon as they were over, and that he would bring food with him even if Kaden refused.

The dragon had taken upon phrasing that insisted on no further arguments, leaving Kaden unable to refuse. It was the sort of stern and demanding tone, woven in the man's low and quiet voice, that nobody could say no to.

Kaden closed his eyes, leaning against the wall, utterly bored.

Funnily enough, he often wasted his time locked in his rooms, staring at the wall while thinking of nonsense and delusions, but it was different being forced inside.

He preferred to choose to isolate and waste his time. Being made to do so was completely different, and aroused a desire to protest. Of course, he wouldn't dare to risk anybody's safety because of his ailments.

The delusions were still there, ghosts of hallucinations that remained present. In fact, they were so vivid they could be mistaken for real.

He had been tempted to stalk over and waved his hand through, knowing it would phase past and prove it to be false, but he didn't. Couldn't. At times he felt like he was sitting upside down, or sideways, and suddenly the room was spinning.

And then it wasn't.

Noah hadn't said a word of complaint to whatever he saw while holding onto Kaden, hadn't even blinked at the strangeness that Kaden knew he saw.

Kaden was grateful; Kaden was guilty.

He kept dragging the dragon further into his own problems, and would eventually ruin Noah even further. What right did he have to pretend to be friends with this man, this future hero that was beloved and admired by all?

What right did he have to sit there, protected by Noah's kindness, knowing he would take part in the dragon's demise?

Sure, he had every intention to help Noah in the future, but he couldn't disobey Reed's orders. He couldn't disobey the fate he knew awaited—not entirely. Not with the curse branded on his skin, and not without changing the future for the worse.