132 | remember; the value of a loaf

Kaden was lost in his dreams—he stood, a mere mirage, in the cold echoes of the castle halls.

In the beginning, he did not trust the teenager who took his hand and saved him. The young Kaden had been all too aware of those nobles who stole children off the streets and dressed them up for their games.

Perhaps it would lead to a better life. A life where his belly would be full and warm clothes could cover his chilled skin. The only price would be his dignity and self, sacrificed to live in comfort.

Kaden did not scorn others for choosing such a path; he scorned the nobles who tricked the oblivious, desperate for warmth without knowing the price of it.

When the young boy, sly and an expert at escaping, was caught stealing gold from the young noble—he tensed, keenly aware.

He was caught and punishment would come.

Would it be a flogging? Death? He thought he was prepared for anything having endured many beatings before.

The teenager instead held a finger to his lips and smiled curiously. It was a tempting smile, charming in the way the beautiful face softened—

—but Kaden saw it.

The teenager's attitude and charms, all lies woven to create his display of kindness.

The teenager smiled, and invited him to the palace, not hiding his identity. He promised that no punishment would come if he followed. However, if the boy chose to run, he would be a thief to the Crown.

Kaden had shuddered under the smiling, cold blue gaze.

It was a threat.

That was why after he was bathed, given clothes and food, Kaden had only stared at everything with a pout and skeptical eyes.

The present Kaden stood in his dreamscape, outside the palace grounds, near the path towards the tightly closed gates. There were guards outside, standing tall and proud.

He watched a little boy, clean but unsuited for the luxuries of the palace, peer around a corner as he crouched by a trimmed bush.

He held a loaf of bread tightly in his hand.

His pink hair fell over his large, watchful eyes and he nibbled the top sparingly as if scared to eat any more.

That was him, in his first week in the palace.

The little Kaden looked left and right and jumped up, darting towards the gates. His cautious gaze swept over the guards and he steered towards the wall.

It was thickly blocked with trees, and he'd reached a spot that could not easily be seen.

He shoved the bread in his mouth, cheeks bulging as he rolled up his clean, white sleeves and grabbed onto a tree. He climbed up it easily, but there was a gap between the tree and the wall.

The small person crouched high in the tree. He frowned, wedging the bread tightly between his teeth, determined to not let it go. It would be his winning meal after escaping.

He wiped his small palms on his pants, pressing his feet into the branch. Underneath, the present Kaden watched with a frown. His heart thudded, and he gritted his teeth.

Right now, he was merely an illusion.

He could not catch that child if he fell. He did not remember what happened clearly. After all, it was lifetimes ago.

The little boy got ready to jump—it was foolish; but here, all he knew was that staying could be worse than death. He had seen it, in the way bright eyes bled into dullness after being taken as noble's pets.