77 | cathedral; faith found in him

The clouds covered the moon, wisping around the white to make its hue dull and faded. Fog curled around the damp cobbled streets, emptied from life hours earlier.

Kaden walked up the pathway to the cathedral, a short carriage from the city.

It was more secluded to allow for privacy, the building standing tall in its simple yet intricate architecture. Here, the devoted came to pray for their families and health, for riches and power, for the blessing from the celestial beings above.

He slipped inside through the doors, a small creak echoing in the large hall. The followers that lived here resided further in, and a small sound wouldn't disturb them.

It was a sight to behold even in the darkness, with towering arches that ran along the sides and rows of seats faced to the front. Stained glass windows that depicted a story formed from crafted hands.

He approached the alter that was lit with five slender candles held by gold. Three large statues surrounded it, winged creatures immortalized in human vision.

A gust of wind blew behind him, brushing the back of his neck.

"I wonder, why did you choose this place?"

An ugly laugh came from the entrance, something heavy dragging closer to him. "Is this not where humans pray to the holy beings above? To the Gods that do not answer? I thought you'd feel the safest here."

He tilted his chin to the statues, gazing at the carved eyes that stared at their audience. He smiled, shoulders pulled back.

"Unfortunately, I've been long abandoned by Them, by any that one could pray to. If anything came for me, it could only be Death."

"Abandoned?" She sneered, stopping directly behind him. "Can one with of the Blessed say that?"

"I considered it. However, is a blessing really a gift?"

She didn't respond to his question, narrowing her gaze at the statues with disdain. If praying could revive the decease, she would've sliced off her tail and placed it on the alter. But it couldn't—and so she abandoned her devotion.

"You were timidly clinging to your friend at the circus, and now you have a backbone? I  suppose weakness reveals itself in those you trust most. Is he dear to you, that dragon blood?"

Kaden sighed, closing his eyes helplessly. "The dearest."

The woman slithered closer, her bare flesh pressed against him as he felt her long hair brush against his covered arms. He tensed, but didn't react.

She huffed in irritation. "Even if my appearance is hideous, I have pride in my body. Right now, you cannot see my face. Alas, young man, do you have issues down there?"

"...I'm certain it works just fine. And the issue isn't your body or your face, but the very nature of your soul."

"Is it because I'm not a man?"

"It's because you're not him."

The snake woman swooned mockingly. "Ah, he was dear to you in that way, I see. A pity, it's  easier to work with somebody who I can satisfy with my body. Fine. Tell me, boy, what do you want to tell me?"

Kaden turned around, meeting the woman's slitted eyes. "I have information regarding the person you seek."

Her eyes widened as he continued. "I found documents relating to one of that man's suppliers. That supplier is dead. However, after learning of the relationship, I requested one of my sources to listen closely for his name. I shall name him R."