34 | trust; an honest face

In the evening serenity, when thoughts remained dormant and the sound of soft breathing became clear in the room, a figure sat silently at the edge of a bed. The man lowered his white-black hair, frowning in deep conflict.

The person sleeping on the bed turned in his sleep, restless and likely caught in another nightmare, revealed by his knitted brows.

Noah's eyelashes fluttered, casting a shadow on his cheekbones. He didn't move his hand to smooth away the bothered creases of skin, to smother the terrible dreams and hope for beautiful ones to replace it.

Professor Raymond's class had been a rude awakening; that their time could be as slight as it could be long.

Although it was more of a reminder to be more cautious when using their abilities and to not recklessly act, the fear of possibly dying remained present.

But more than his own life, he feared losing Kaden.

Because the dragon had yet to witness the man accomplishing his goal.

Despite that, when Noah had finally resolved himself to watch over Kaden's ridiculous acts, and wait patiently for him to accomplish his simple desire of happiness, the false smile had bothered him needlessly.

Happiness... what was the thing that forced Kaden to display an air of mockery, forced him to bury his wretched emotions deep down?

Doing that wouldn't grant Kaden's desires.

'You should trust what you see.' Kaden had said, moments before claiming that he was the last person Noah should trust.

But that alone contradicted itself—because what Noah saw was not suspicion clouding Kaden's existence, but a foolish sense of justice hidden behind layers of secrets. Noah had learned to believe in Kaden's character.

That was what he saw. And as Kaden requested, he would trust in his sight.

His gloved fingers, habitually wrapped around in the case of accidentally touching Kaden's skin, picked up a strand of the loose pink hair, a shade lighter when caught in the moonlight.

He closed his eyes softly, a flutter of images overlapping his current reality.

A body sprawled out on soft grass, strands of pink blanketed around the man's head as he grinned cheekily, full of teasing as he laughed.

Himself, fallen back onto the ground after being yanked, scowling with deep irritation as he turned his head to display the extent of his annoyance. It only served to make the other party for joyful.

Noah snapped his eyes open again, clutching his chest as his breathing quickened. His shoulders rose and fell as he released the strand of hair.

"What exactly are you, Kaden Chauvet?" muttered the dragon with a trace of sleepiness as he lowered his gaze. "Who are you?"

They were questions he couldn't determine the answer to.

He gritted his teeth, leaving the warmth of the bed and returning to his own side as he moved under the covers, covering his eyes with his arm.

He just couldn't sleep.

———XXX———

"By my family's name, my own pride and self, I challenge you to a duel, Kaden Chauvet."

Kaden dropped his fork, a loud clatter in the muttering food hall as he lifted his head with wide surprise. He swallowed his food hurriedly, coughing as he nearly choked on the bite he had been eating.