84 | trust; moonlight tranquility

The theater filled with students and guests alike, every empty spot destined to be occupied before the curtains drew. The Academy's privacy was a well-known fact, a secret school that only selected new adults were invited to.

However, within certain regulations, a few exceptions were allowed to be made. Nicola, whose performances happened outside of the Academy's walls as well, had a few well-known guests.

Behind the curtain, Nicola sighed into her hands. "Where did she go? The play is set to start momentarily."

It was to be a tale of star-crossed lovers, destined for ruin. A pair that both loved and hated each other, drawn by the inclinations of the universe, yet determined to remain apart. The man, for the sake of his own ambitions and ideals.

The woman, because she could not remain with her beloved, whose faith went against her very nature.

Nicola, the director, had already taken to the role of the female lover due to limited applicants. It was easier to find students willing to audition near the middle of the year, in comparison to the end.

There were a few, but none matched the image she had in her mind.

Of course, Nicola was open-minded and rarely selective. But for this particular play, only she could fulfill the role. Perhaps it was in the sense that a writer often gave a part of themselves in their own sentences—that they were all their characters and yet none at all.

The male lead had been a difficult find, several auditions had been done before she decided on one. In a play, gender could fluctuate easily—a woman could play a man, and a man could play a woman if they wished. 

She cared about the character's soul more than the skin that they wore.

There had been a young woman, charming and yet carrying a deep sense of emotion in her gaze, that Nicola selected.

However, she wasn't here. And they had only so much time before the curtains parted.

A man entered the backstage area, calmly looking around. "Nicola," he greeted. "I thought I'd come by and greet you."

The woman's worry smoothened, replaced by an empty gaze. Then, she smiled politely.

Reed noticed, smiling back at her. "We haven't had a proper conversation in a while. How have you been? What have you been up to, as of late?"

"I believe it isn't in our job description to share personal information, Your Highness?"

The woman, always gentle and kind, turned icy in moments.

The man stared at her quietly, remarking, "We'd been friends, once."

"I loved you, once." said Nicola after a breath, an exhale of memory from a distant past. Reed stiffened, and she turned to examine the costumes. "But I value the character in my friends, Your Highness. I value character more than status."

"Are you insulting a member of the royal family?"

"Will you have me rot away in jail, Your Highness? Please, but on these grounds, you have no right to any power." She didn't look back, checking the seams as she debated how to find another actor within the time she had.

"Your attitude. Was it my brother who influenced you?"

"You are the last to have the right to call him your brother."

Reed's gaze softened in realization. "Ah, then it was."

Nicola's thin fingers paused against the silky fabrics, turning her face slightly. "...I apologize, Reed. I'm busy—the play is about to begin. If you need anything, please let me know after."