38 | carving; a pair of dragon wings

Arlo happily jumped onto the creaking bed made of old, but good quality wood. There was nothing elaborate or fancy about such a place, unlike the Academy or the castle, but Kaden felt more comfortable that way.

It was a small room, cramped with little room to move around, but it was enough. To Arlo, it was fascinating and utterly wonderful.

Even if the boy had grown cynical over years, it couldn't be helped that he hadn't seen such sights before. There was a childish innocence and wonder that couldn't be buried.

Kaden slipped his bag off, packed with some snacks and clothing for their stay. He watched Arlo roll around the bed, before the child stared up at the ceiling.

"Hey, hey, sir. I'm not dreaming, right?"

Kaden raised his eyebrows in amusement. "Do I look like an illusion to you?"

Arlo laughed loudly, flipping to his side as he squinted joyously at the adult sitting on the opposite bed, a deep gratitude that even Kaden didn't recognize.

Really, it felt like a dream. And if it was, the boy wouldn't have minded never waking up again. He was scared that one day he'd open his eyes and meet the breaking floors of that old house, and feel the throbbing pain of bruises along his arms again.

Even if he had to stake everything, he never wanted to go back to that time. Drinking rainwater to comfort his dry throat, eating the leftovers of half-eaten fruit.

More importantly, thought the child quietly despite his bright smile, he didn't want to leave this man—his saviour's side.

When he'd seen Kaden, cloaked in shadows during the dead night, with his father's limp corpse leaning against him, Arlo hadn't felt fear or terror. No, he'd stared as if he saw an angel, a sight engraved into his young eyes.

It was as if a hand pulled him out of the murky swamps he wandered in, cleaning him up and giving him warm food.

An indescribable sensation.

Of course, Arlo wasn't foolish enough to believe Kaden would never abandon him. Or that he had been saved without reason.

But he was willing—willing to become somebody Kaden couldn't abandon.

And he would do whatever it took. The boy, young but not innocent, made a silent resolution to himself.

Kaden's eyes flickered over. "Done dreaming? What would you like to do?"

Arlo beamed. "I want to explore the streets! This is the capital, right? Isn't it filled with the most big and beautiful things?"

"Well, there are certainly beautiful things."

"Let's go find them!"

Kaden chuckled lightly at the brimming excitement of the child and nodded. He paused slightly when Arlo reached out to grab his hand, before feeling the leather around his fingers and relaxing.

They strolled down the busy streets again, without any incidents this time.

Arlo tugged Kaden over to a wood carver, a curly, black-haired woman who sat with her legs crossed, chipping away at a wood slab. She smiled at the pair politely.

"Are you looking to purchase anything?" Her voice was airy and soothing.

Arlo pursed his lips. "Nope! I have no money!"

Kaden laughed, turning his attention to the woman who smiled patiently. Often, hearing that a customer had no money, the seller would grow bitter or irritated. However the woman continued to chip away at the jade.