69 | grandfather; to make assumptions

The bookstore, tucked between the cobbled buildings that were lined with branching vines, almost seemed like a sacred place to step foot in. A portal to another dimension.

When Noah had first started walking, large strides that seeped with confidence and a general indifference to his surroundings, Kaden had asked if they were really going the right direction. They'd passed a forest and several buildings, and he really didn't know where they were at all.

When Noah tilted his head, a lazy gaze sweeping over Kaden, he felt a strange surge of comfort.

That the dragon, indifferent as he was to all others, directed his attention solely to him. A fixed gaze that didn't make the other uncomfortable, but instead incredibly seen.

Regardless, Noah arched a brow with challenge. "Do you want to lead the way?"

He stopped, stubbornly rooting himself in the ground.

Kaden had looked left and right to the streets and buildings, all unfamiliar and confusing, and shook his head quickly.

"No, no, I believe in you, Bellamy.

"Go on."

Noah, like a stubborn wall of bricks, didn't move even with Kaden's assurance. The dragon coolly eyed the other with challenge, a clear intent to remain standing until Kaden took the reigns.

"...come on, you're not a petty person. We'll only end up lost in a ditch or shady area if I lead."

"I'll follow you."

The words were spoken with such certainty, Kaden shuffled on the spot feeling odd. Three words, casually spoke, and it felt like there was a deeper implication woven underneath.

A declaration to follow him anywhere.

To the brightest, and to all the darkest places.

Kaden huffed, playing the role of a responsible adult who reluctantly listened to the other party. Noah was amused, his cold black gaze settled on the man's back, watching intently as Kaden hesitated nervously before striding forward.

He was a person full of doubts, but once forced to decide, would resolutely charge forward.

Meanwhile, the other student was reassuring himself in his head as he led them to the right, and then to the left. Eventually, the did a full circle around, although Noah remained true to his word, following behind quietly.

Kaden spun around. "I'd really like to pry open that mouth of yours, Bellamy."

The dragon raised an eyebrow, standing beside him as he glanced over. Then, with poise and calmness, he opened his mouth into a circle, revealing a row of neat teeth and two sharpened canines—a trait of his bloodline.

"....."

Kaden fell speechless in seconds.

Noah stared at him silently with his mouth wide open.

The two men continued to gaze at each other wordlessly. High in the air, a bird squawaked as the wind around them blew.

"What're you doing, Bellamy?"

Noah blinked.

He even tilted his head to the side in response, loose strands of white-black hair delicately swaying over his eyes.

The more Kaden looked the more... wasn't it a little cute? It was strange calling such a large man, a vicious dragon, cute... but... the contrast between the sharp black gaze, and the silly action...

No! Kaden slapped himself in his mind, appalled. Deciding it wasn't enough, he slapped himself physically as well once.

Kaden huffed in satisfaction, all nonsense slapped out of his brain.