74 | reading; a nameless name

The circus was where dreams were born in the midst of dazzling lights and inhumane talents that could be disguised as the living's most natural magic.

The four hustled to the tent, melting in the night where it stood, location unknown.

All they knew was that they were at the circus, but not where they were. Illusionary magic had been used again to blur and disguise the location.

Perhaps they were everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

At the entrance, where the flap of the tent was pinned back, a woman waited with raven hair pooling down her back, down her legs and just missing the ground. A white lace ribbon rested over her eyes, drawn into a bow behind her head.

She was decorated like a design, a masterpiece crafted.

With a black dress that draped behind her, cut shorter in the front to reveal porcelain legs, silver jewels twinkled where they were placed—hanging at her ears, her neck, at her wrist to connect every slender finger folded in front of her.

She turned her head to their direction, a gloss of the night skies painted over her lips.

"Welcome, guests of the circus."

Niklas strolled forth, leaning forward to press a kiss to her hands. She allowed him, reacting impassively, arm limp as he took it.

"Does this circus have a name, fair lady?"

Kaden shuddered, goosebumps on his arms. He glanced at Noah who wore a similar expression, seemingly slightly disgusted behind his mask.

But Niklas had an undeniable charm that worked, and if they had to endure this flirt of a friend, they could manage.

The woman shook her head, a slow sway. "There is no need to name something temporary. Something that isn't meant to last. The circus can be the Circus."

"Is that so?" Niklas smiled, lazily stepping back. "Then, may we partake in the festive acts you have planned?"

"First," She held out her silver-decorated hands, both palms up. "Allow me to read you. To see you. Only those skilled and unique may enter the Circus."

"Just by looking at us, you can't tell? Particularly, looking at that foxy over there? He's very unique."

Niklas waved over at Kaden, who stepped forth and muttered, "When we return, I'll feed you the spiciest chillies I can find."

"Ah, Foxy," Niklas whispered back. "The one who lacks tolerance isn't me, is it?"

"If I shove it down your throat, I'm certain you'll choke regardless."

"How scandalous, Kaden, speaking of shoving something—" Mid-speech, Niklas felt his body crudely shoved to the side as a broad body moved between them. "...You're not subtle at all, you know that?"

Noah's reply was simple. "I'm not trying to be."

Kaden, unaware of their conversation that was quietly muttered, looked up at Noah and smiled. "My darling Doggy. Starved for attention, are you?"

"If I say yes, will you give me attention?"

"I do adore dogs." His green eyes twinkled with mischief. "But you don't look too much like one. So I'm not sure."

The dragon regarded the masked fox beside him silently, a dangling earring hanging on one ear as he opened his mouth to utter an impassive,

"Woof."

"Cough—" Niklas spat out air, clearing his throat. "Hurry, do you have any water? Any liquids? I need some to spit out in shock!"

Even Kaden was a little surprised at the serious 'bark' and a breath of laughter slipped past him, his eyes curving. "That was a very realistic bark," It wasn't. "Care to prove yourself more?"