78 | suspicion; a web of fate

In Professor Raymond's class, three notorious students sat next to each other near the back. One pink-haired man suddenly yawned, and a certain dragon yawned in following. Then, as if planned, the last of the three opened his mouth and yawned widely.

All three looked at each other in confusion.

Niklas leaned on the table, wriggling his eyebrows. "Now, now, do share. What have you two been up to that's made you so exhausted?"

Kaden tapped underneath his eyes, sneering. "Clear those bags underneath your eyes first, and then you can judge me."

"It's a trend these days. I'm surprised you don't know—you're probably the one who stared that trend. I quote, handsome men with dark under eyes." shrugged Niklas nonchalantly before sprouting a grin. "Fine, though. What's your excuse, Noah?"

"Insomnia."

"Really? For some reason, that was the last thing I expected." Niklas frowned, tapping his chin. "Why?"

"My roommate has been returning late at night."

Kaden decided it was a good time to stare out the window and observe the passing students, clearing his throat. Noah's gaze bore into him from where he sat, but he didn't add anything to his sentence.

The end of the year approached.

One month had passed since Kaden's agreement with the snake woman—Bolivia, he had learned was her name.

Three times a week, he ventured into Corpus or whatever odd location the Organizer invited him too, attending meeting after meeting. Often, there was no useful information, and he wasted more time than he discovered something new.

He stayed up late at night, and when he returned, Noah would push open the door and drag him to sleep.

"Don't wait for me." Kaden had told the dragon once, locked in a heavy arm that draped over his chest. The arm insistently begun to pull him to the bed.

Noah cracked one eye open lazily. "Will you tell me where you're going?"

"...no, not yet."

"Then if all I can do is wait, let me do just that."

There was no arguing with a stubborn dragon who simply pretended to be asleep if Kaden attempted to protest. Despite the warmth that Noah provided, it couldn't make for the few hours of sleep they managed to squeeze in several nights.

His frustration grew deeper and deeper, and his patience wore thin. Why couldn't he be in the right place at the right time? Why couldn't he find everything out at once?

Why was it that he reaped no results from the effort he put in?

Bolivia had done her part in investigating using her sources, finding secret discussions that were exclusive to her kind. But even she could barely find information, running into dead end after dead end.

Kaden's mind felt weary and he lowered his head to the table, dozing off to sleep. The class ended, and students eagerly spilled out of the room seeking lunch.

Niklas tidied his books, glancing at his friend with a sigh. "Well, that's rare. It's nearly impossible for him to fall asleep in class." His eyebrows knitted in debate, tucking his notes under his arm. "Noah, can you wait here? I have to be somewhere—but I'll help you bring him to your room if you can't."

The dragon didn't budge from his seat, his own books stacked in a neat pile. From the moment Kaden's head touched the desk, Noah had noticed.

He shook his head calmly. "Go. I'll wait until he wakes."