73 | clown; insults and tease

Kaden sighed, sitting on the stage to the theater. It was a small hall located in a separate building, decadent and luxurious with an ancient history built into its sturdy walls. Night had already fallen as he waited in the dark space, ceilings curved high above his head.

The heavy double doors creaked as somebody pushed them wide, stepping inside while the faint light from outside brushed the floor.

"Chauvet."

Noah raised a candle, looking to see if anybody else had arrived. He approached Kaden, stepping past the rows of seats, gaze fixated on the man on the stage.

Kaden smiled, tilting his head. "I forgot to bring a candle, so isn't it a blessing that you're the first to arrive, dearest Bellamy?"

"We could've walked over together."

"It's safer we didn't."

Niklas, the morning after Arlo's visit, finished explaining his secret mission for the Misfits of Obscurity. There was an underground meeting set to occur the following evening, when the towns and people had long gone to sleep.

The meeting this time was unique, a dress code was required. Absurdity meets more absurdity, Niklas had claimed, informing the necessity of a costume.

A character must be played in the grand circus.

Therefore, they agreed to meet in the theater and change into outfits of Nicola's choosing. She was, after all, involved in many events within the Academy. It wouldn't be odd to see her wandering, even if it was this late at night.

The door opened again, and Niklas slipped through. Nicola followed behind with a gentle smile. "You're all here."

"It's tragic, Nicola, that he's coerced to join his strange group." said Kaden, jumping down from the stage.

Niklas protested, "If it's strange and you're part of it, what does that make you?"

"A sweetheart." replied the other blandly. "For keeping you company despite your strangeness."

"Nonsense. I have Noah."

Kaden raised his brows, tilting his head back to meet the dragon's gaze. "Would he have you, Bellamy?"

Noah stared back calmly, noticing the insistence in Kaden's eyes. "He wouldn't."

"Hey now, you forced him to say that!"

"I did no such thing."

"You literally interlocked eyes and shared some sort of mind-reading moment, did you not? I witnessed it! The Pres did too, mind you."

Nicola laughed into her hands softly, helpless. "I apologize, Kaden, but I admittedly did see some of the supposed 'interlocking eyes' moment."

Kaden decided to change the topic. With Nicola on his silly friend's side, the chances of winning the argument became increasingly slim. "Do you have our outfits prepped, Nicola? Please tell me you have a clown's attire for him."

"I do have a clown's outfit." She turned, rummaging through a large trunk that was settled against the stage. Her fingers wrapped around a delicate fabric, black and white clothes, as she smiled apologetically. "However, this was meant for you, Kaden."

"...Nicola, have I done something to turn you against me?"

"You haven't. Please try it on."

"Are you certain?"

"Undoubtedly."

Reluctantly, Kaden accepted the outfit while he heard an annoying snicker of laughter behind him.