106 | imprisoned; to throw a tantrum

An excessively heavy package was swung over Lux's shoulder.

He could not forget, how he ran into the room after that little sinner summoned him, how with red-rimmed eyes and a seething cold gaze, that man pointed and said calmly, "I've accomplished my mission. This is Noah Bellamy."

And Noah Bellamy it was, lying on the bare bed, gently arranged onto his back as he remained a picture of death, eyelashes cast over his sharp cheekbones.

Lux even asked tentatively, "He's alive, isn't he?"

"It's a poison that ensures our easy travel back. He'll wake by tomorrow."

The words were a statement, calm and unperturbed. That coolness frightened Lux more; reminiscent of Kaden's doll-like state these past three years. He'd thought there was development—he'd seen it in the way Kaden's eyes delighted in catching fish, and then releasing them back soon after.

Curious and observing eyes; Lux wondered if they would have remained so had he not had the misfortune of meeting Reed.

Would Kaden have been a loving man, curious and never judging? It seemed almost unrealistic to consider, but Lux thought of Kaden's inability to despise Skye, his once reluctance to kill. The man knew that Richard Halls, alongside any of the killed without brethren had been buried.

Lux knew of the bodiless grave in the castle's gardens, a hyacinth, and a rotting flower crossed over it. The flowers had both withered, and Lux took the liberty to replace them with new ones.

He felt as if those flowers, evidence of Kaden's humanity, had to remain.

It had been awkward placing them; he arranged them the same as they had been before. He didn't enjoy indulging in sentiments. Those who died would not return, and although death was a pity, he would not grieve for strangers, no matter how tragic.

Lux felt regret, and he wondered if he was disappointed that Kaden hadn't chosen to flee, to escape the night with the dragons' kin.

But he, more than the others, could imagine the consequences.

Could Kaden ever be free of Reed; his saviour, family, and manipulator?

Kaden remained silent on the carriage back, and even silenter in the palace. Lux deposited Noah in the basement cell, his wary gaze flickering to an iron door, kept closed by several chains. Entrapping secrets and gloom, a history and a childhood never to see light.

He reported to Reed, and after a careless dismissal, returned to the cell the next day. With a certain younger prince at his side, although not the one he found endearing. Skye was ordered to bring food down to Noah by Reed's orders, and Lux happened to come down at the same time.

Noah was awake, his dark eyes boring at the red-haired prince as he descended the stairs. Seeing that it wasn't anybody he cared for, Noah leaned back and closed his eyes.

"Oh come on," smiled Lux unpleasantly. "I've ventured to this depressing place to give you company, junior."

"Junior," repeated Noah with a frown.

"I was your senior, so I do believe that makes you my junior, yes."

A metal tray of food—a loaf of bread and a small plate of meat— clattered to the dusty ground before the cell bars, shoved by the curly-haired prince who scowled.

Noah glanced at the tray calmly, and Skye glared, with brewing envy at Noah, and unfiltered dislike to Lux.

There was the dragon that could be loved so easily when Skye tried so hard to result in nothing. No matter what he destroyed, no matter how many gifts or luxuries, he could not regain that affection from his youth.