127 | bite; a platter for a master

Reed sat on the edge of a boulder, inconspicuously placed between two arching trees that curved into each other. He'd received a notice—the way to enter would be between those two trees at the first stroke of light.

He fiddled with the paper between his hands, eyes lowered to the neat handwriting.

A practiced, obedient handwriting. Words that expressed no emotion, only stating cold information, drawing a line between the reader and writer.

There was still time before nightfall, and time before the sun rose. The letter had been sent at perfect timing, and Reed was forced to recall his soldiers away from the town.

Nicola would be safe, he knew. Even in a town she didn't know, the woman was skilled and could care for herself.

She would venture beyond unimaginable feats, beyond his grasp. To begin with, she was not an existence he could hold onto.

Neither of them were.

Branches cracked underneath a solemn step, and Reed lifted his weary eyes. The exhaustion that had seeped into them quickly receded, returning to indifference.

Lux, with his arms crossed, stared at him quietly. He held out a hand. "You've read the letter, haven't you? I'll be kind and throw it out for you."

"There's no need."

Reed folded the paper carefully, edge to edge, smoothening the small square and slipping it into his pocket. Lux narrowed his eyes knowingly and said nothing more.

He walked over and slumped by the boulder, directly sitting by Reed's feet.

A frown twisted the prince's lips. "What are you doing?"

"Honouring you with my company, it seems."

"That's no honour. Are you so bored that you've come to disturb me? Unable to act without orders, when I've given all of you free time?"

Lux sneered but didn't budge from his spot, fiddling with two branches that were by his leg. He started to spear leaves through, creating a skewer of various colours.

One man watched quietly, and one man hummed to himself.

A passerby would assume them to be friends; an almost peaceful coexistence falling between them. For a few moments, it was not a reluctant alliance between two princes.

It was just the two of them, doing nothing and doing everything simultaneously.

Lux made five skewers, pretending to plate them on the surface of a brown leaf. He bent his head in a mocking bow, holding onto the plate with two hands. "For you, my proud master."

Reed lifted his brows. He played along in a cold tone. "You're offering your master dirt and leaves?"

"Only the finest quality of nutrition for you."

"I am not a rabbit."

"Now, now, my master. Many do not indulge in meat."

Reed scoffed. "And they indulge in skewered leaves?"

"The leaves skewered by a runaway prince is a rare delicacy. Almost as rare as the dear master who is indulging in this play."

Reed's body stiffened, his tension returning to his limbs as he waved his hand, dismissing the silly leaf skewers. "This is ridiculous. It was a waste of my time to indulge you."

Lux smiled sardonically, wagging three skewers between his fingers. "If you don't indulge in your doggies at all, Prince, they won't remain loyal to you."