Part 7

Race day was always more chaotic than the last.

Lyla had walked into the paddock that morning with Charles and Pierre on each arm. The three were talking in rapid French as they made their way through the crowds of fans holding phones and asking for autographs from the two drivers. Lyla and Charles had dropped Pierre off at the Alpha Tauri garage where Arden was waiting for him and then headed towards the Ferrari one, shouting out to Carlos who they found walking in front of them.

Charles and Carlos had media duties throughout morning but they returned to Lyla for lunch before disappearing to get changed and prepare for the race. Lyla re-joined them in the garage before the green lights, giving Carlos a hug and wishing him good luck before she was scooped into the air by Charles and spun around.

The race had actually gone pretty well for both drivers. The overall vibe of the Ferrari team was completely different, smiles were shared between everyone, pats on the back being sent all around – even Mattia Binotto had a grin on his face and wasn't taking his anger out on his two drivers. When Charles and Carlos came to greet the team down at Parc Ferme even the two of them seemed happier.

Both Spanish and Monegasque drivers wore smiles brighter than the sun with loud laughter leaving their mouths as they hugged the team and congratulated each other on their performance. Charles walked over to Lyla, the young woman was stood slightly away from the Ferrari team and was watching the interaction between them and the drivers with a soft smile. Her attention was eventually caught by Charles as he approached, removing his helmet, and holding it in his hand.

"What?" Charles asks, Italian words falling from his tongue.

"Your smiling." Lyla comments, leaning on the barrier with a smirk.

"I am." Charles replies, copying her actions.

"I like to see that."

"It's hard not to smile when my good luck charm is here."

"Your good luck charm? Girlfriend you haven't told me about, LeClerc?"

"Don't be so stupid, Accardi."

"I'm not the stupid one here, I really do feel for the person that ends up marrying you one day."

"I could say the same thing back to you, psychotic little bitch."

Lyla quirks an eyebrow at him, watching Charles push a hand through his hair and place his helmet and balaclava down on the floor. The woman grinned, wetting her lips with her tongue as he leant back against the barriers, completely disregarding anything else that was happening around them in the moment.

"Maybe I should meet this supposed good luck charm one day."

"You're a little shit you know that?"

"You like to remind me a lot."

Charles drops his head as a chuckle escapes his lips whilst Lyla tucks her hair behind her ear and tilts her head slightly with a smile on her face.

The driver lifts his head again to make eye contact with his best friend. The tension which had suddenly formed between them could be cut with a knife.

"I speak the truth and nothing but the truth." He eventually says.

"Mhm? Do you really?" Lyla quirks her eyebrow again.

"You know that I do, Deliah."

"You have celebrations to be a part of Charlie."

"They aren't celebrations if you're not present."

Lyla's heart skipped, her cheeks firing to a bright red colour which she once again could blame on sunburn. Charles smirked at her silence, pushing himself up and grabbing his helmet before walking over to Carlos who was being congratulated by Mattia.