Part 39

Charles loved having Lyla living in his apartment.

He loved the way her guitar sat on its stand in the corner of the living room by the piano.

He loved that her toothbrush was in his bathroom along with the rest of her toiletries.

He loved that her clothes were often found scattered on the floor of his bedroom instead of in the drawer or side of the wardrobe designated for them.

He loved seeing her shoes on the shoe rack by the door.

He loved that her random assortment of mugs had joined his rather boring ones in the cabinet.

He loved the fact she took it upon herself to place coasters around every room used all the time.

He loved her photos and her ornaments she'd brought from home.

He loved the blanket that she snuggled up in when it got cold that laid abandoned on the sofa.

But he mostly loved the fact he got to see her everyday when he was home.

He would walk in from the gym, a hike, a run or even a meeting with Andrea or Nicolas to find her in the kitchen or living room or just out on the balcony. She would turn around and smile at him before walking over and kissing him in greeting - not caring if he was sweaty from a work-out. He loved waking up in bed next to her, or falling asleep with her fingers running through his hair. He loved all the stolen kisses in the different rooms of the apartment, the lates night where they could spend hours talking and laughing and never get bored.

The mornings he would wake up before her and make breakfast or when she would wake up before him and do the same. He loved how he could walk out into the living room and find her strumming her guitar. He loved that she would come and sit on the floor by his simulator when he was using it with her laptop. He loved the fact he would be able to stop for a few seconds and look over to see her sat there, engaged in whatever it was she was doing behind the screen.

Today, Lyla had done just that.

Charles had disappeared into the office after eating breakfast, Lyla had smiled when he told her his plans before he'd kissed her on the cheek. She had sat at the kitchen counter eating the rest of her breakfast whilst scrolling aimlessly through Tik Tok on her phone - making mental note to start using the app more. She finished eating, washed up her dishes and cutlery, and then grabbed her laptop.

She didn't need to ask permission to enter the room because she had done it many times before. Staying silent because he was on a call with Lando, Alex and George as she padded through the open door and took her place on the floor, knees pulled slightly towards her to allow her to rest her laptop on her thighs. She became emersed in answering emails and sorting out what she needed to send forward to Zac Brown.

She was going to be working for McLaren after the summer break.

She was so engrossed that she didn't even realise Charles had stopped and was looking at her. The Monegasque was still sat in his simulator but taking a few seconds break purely to look at the woman sat on the floor a few feet away and all he could do was smile.

Lyla did eventually finish whatever she was doing and it only just dawned on her how much busier her schedule would become, but it was entirely worth it so she let it slide. She closed her laptop lid and stood up, walking over to Charles and leaning on the back of his chair whilst watching him. He finished his lap and then tilted his head back so he could see her.

"Everything going good?" She asks quietly.

"Perfect." He smiles back. "You want to say hi."