Chapter twelve

Chapter Twelve

Meanwhile at Hogwarts, the headmaster was pacing in his office as usual. His phoenix familiar was watching him pace and mutter. Albus Dumbledore always prided himself on planning for each eventuality, he was the leader of the light after all, he was the one they looked to for guidance. What he hadn't planned for was Cassiopeia Potter, he had never been invited to Potter Manor when it was still Charlus and Dorea's home. The Potter's always kept their secrets close to their chest, so when James and Lily moved into Godric's Hollow, Albus had been surprised. He had expected them to remain in the manor as only Potter's knew the location. He wasn't aware that the Potter family owned any property in his boyhood village. When James and Lily had died, he had tried to trace Cassiopeia in order to influence her away from her nephew but as he never knew the Manor's location, he was unsuccessful. They had met once, with her arriving at the school and demanding he get Sirius a trial and return Harry to her. He had tried to use a compulsion charm on her then but it wouldn't work. She had never came to him again, instead she took her fight to the ministry where she was eventually told to stop or face Azkaban herself. Dumbledore had hoped the Potter stubborn streak would rear its head and she would end up alongside Black but to no avail. The female Potter had disappeared from Wizarding society, until now. According to his students, she had apparated out of the castle claiming to be the heir of Gryffindor. This he balked at, he very much doubted the Potter's could trace any lineage to the founder of the school. He had to do something to get Harry back into the school, the boy was the key to Tom returning.

Back at Potter Manor, Harry had told his Aunt that he found his grandfathers office and had met his portrait. He was so excited to tell her all about his conversation with his grandfather that he had forgotten about finding his grandmothers portrait. Cassie eventually took him to the old master suite where her mother's portrait held pride of place. Cassie always struggled with her parents portraits especially now that James was gone and she felt alone. Now she owed it to Harry to let him meet them and speak with them. The Potter parents had left clear instruction with memory's of their lives alongside the personality potions that Charlus had created to be used in the future Potter portraits meaning that her parents portraits were very much like having the real thing. Dorea Potter's beautifully trademark coiffed black hair stood out first to her.

"Hi Mum." Cassie whispered out. Harry watched his Aunt and saw a lot of emotion in her face. He imagined this would be how he would feel if he was facing his parents portraits.

"Cassie Darling, it's been a while." Dorea smiled.

"Sorry Mum, I brought someone to meet you. Mum this is Harry, James' son." Cassies gestured to the bespectacled boy next to her.

"Of course he is, he is the perfect combination of his parents. Hello Harry dear." His grandmother smiled at him.

"Hello, uh- Mam."

"You may call me Gran if you wish?"

"Hi Gran."

They sat there for a while chatting about everything they could possibly think of. Eventually Harry asked the questions that he had been wondering about.

"Aunt Cassie why did mum and dad move to Godrics Hollow? Why not stay here?"

"Oh Sweetheart, I'm sorry I should've explained that to you. As you know I am Lady Gryffindor, a title I inherited whilst your James inherited the Potter title. By rights the Manor was your fathers and Godrics Hollow was mine. We didn't live in Godrics Hollow, we all lived here in the Manor, as you know it was large enough and I think we felt it was better to stay close after losing your grandparents. When James and Lily heard of the prophecy and the risk to you, I had expected them to stay here, it was the safest. Dumbledore convinced your parents to use a fidelius charm that he could perform for them. As Dumbledore didn't have permission to enter Potter Manor, and I refused to allow James the man entry to our Ancestral home, I reminded him our parents had never let him in and we weren't about to start now. I tried to convince him that we didn't need the charm that the Manor was safe enough. James by that point was so worried about your mother and you that he wouldn't listen to reason. I think Dumbledore was scaring him into agreeing. So, I offered them Godrics Hollow. They accepted and I had assumed they would be safe. I was wrong, if I had just let Dumbledore into the manor then they'd be alive and-"

"That's enough darling, you were right not to let that meddling old fool into our home. He wanted to control you all, your father and I refused him entry when he began asking about the Peverell line on one of the many times we had been called to school. James and Lily made their choice, you are not to blame, the only ones to blame is Pettigrew and Voldemort. It is not your fault, do you hear me?" her mothers voice spoke firmly cutting her off.

"Oh mum, I know you say this but I think i'll feel guilty for the rest of my life for disagreeing about it with Jamie before he passed." she sobbed.

"Sweetheart, Jamie would hate this for you. you know he would. He'd say c'mon Cass, I was being stubborn and so were you. We were being true Potters, stubborn until the end." her mother spoke softly.

Harry watched as his aunt broke her heart believing she'd let his dad down. Harry thought in light of everything Dumbledore pulled after his parents death that she had been right to refuse him entry or he'd probably be here now dictating where Harry should be. Harry allowed them a moment before asking his final question.

"Sorry Aunt Cass but um did my parents have portraits?"

"Merlin Harry, I had never even thought about that, Sirius might know if they made the arrangements. I haven't been near the Potter vault in a long time, don't get your hopes up though." Harry agreed before saying goodbye to his gran, in search for his godfather instead.