Chapter thirty two

Chapter Thirty Two

As the day wore on, whilst Cassie and Tippy prepared Christmas lunch, Sirius was heading out to see his cousin. They had been back in touch since he was declared innocent and it was agreed they would meet on Christmas day. Sirius had wanted Cassie to go along with him but Cassie felt this was something he had to do on his own for the first time.

Sirius arrived at Andromeda's house and was nervously tugging on his leather jacket when the door swung open. His cousin answered and beckoned him in. Sirius looked around the muggle house, looked at the pictures adorning the walls, showing Nymphadora growing up over the years and the greying of Andy and Ted.

"Wotcher Sirius!" The bubblegum pink haired young woman in front of him said.

"Little Dora. Bloody hell you've grown." Sirius exclaimed.

"Not so little anymore Sirius. Firewhisky?" She replied offering him a glass.

Sirius took it, taking a small sip. It felt strange to be back in this house, the last time he had been year was before James went into hiding. He had been ranting to Andy about a possible traitor and someone setting his friends up to die. He could hear whispering in the kitchen.

"Mum, I just think I should say something. Remus has been very upset." It sounded like Dora.

"Nymphadora, it is not your place to get involved. Stay out of it." Andy was saying back. He'd heard enough, deciding to just ask.

"You wanna tell me what you two are whispering about? What the hell has Remus got to do with you Dora?" He asked.

"We are in the order together Sirius. He has been upset lately, he doesn't understand-"

"He doesn't understand because he is choosing to worship the ground that old man walks on, instead of trusting the word of my fiancee. Instead of trusting me. You know nothing about any of this Dora, so leave it alone." He replied firmly.

Dora's hair flashed red before returning back to it's usual pink. She obviously didn't like what he had to say but that wasn't his problem, he has his family to protect.

"Remus is your friend and you haven't explained anything to him. You've just told him to no trust Dumbledore and that's it. He's supposed to believe your word."

"Okay, Andy it was lovely seeing you. Time for me to go." He replied heading for the door.

"Sirius. Just talk to him." She urged.

"Mind your own business! Merry Christmas Andy." He flung his jacket back on and apparated away on the doorstep not even trying to be discreet in the muggle neighbourhood.

He arrived at a little cottage in Wales. He was fuming, how dare he discuss this with his cousin. Discuss this with the order. He doesn't understand, well he's gonna understand now. Sirius thought. He marched up to the door of The Den.

He knocked hard. Remus appeared dishevelled at the doorway. He looked surprised to see Sirius on his doorstep. The men stared at each other for a moment before Sirius angrily spoke.

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND REMUS?! YOU ARE SPEAKING TO NYMPHADORA ABOUT ME?" He shouted rage overwhelming him.

"Fuck you Sirius. I haven't spoke about you, she asked about you." Remus replied bitterly.

"Moony, I don't understand why you don't trust Cassie and I? Why won't you just believe us?"

"Because you won't explain, you won't tell me why I should."

"Because friends shouldn't have to. Friends should believe each other. We failed at that once and I hoped we wouldn't make that mistake again."

"We trusted Peter once and look where that got us." Came Remus bitter reply.

"Alright, come with me. Cassie and I will explain in more depth. You either listen and believe it or we are done. This is the last chance."

Cassie was relaxing in the lounge reading, waiting on the turkey to cook. She heard the commotion at the door, then in walked Remus Lupin. She looked at Sirius was an explanation.

"I was accosted by Nymphadora about how sad Moony is, how we haven't explained anything to him. Moony here says he can't just trust on blind faith after Peter. So, it's time to tell him everything Cas. It might help if he see's the letters from Prongs and Lils. He has to understand." Sirius said.

"Alright, down to dad's office. Grab the portraits and I'll grab my letter." Cassie replied.

They sat for hours in the office, speaking everything through. Cassie explained everything that happened before James' death and after Sirius' imprisonment. She poured it all out for Remus. He sat quietly, staring at his hands the entire time they spoke. James' portrait urged Remus to listen. To just believe them.

"Pads. I am so sorry. I didn't know, I trusted him. I trusted the man who gave me a chance at an education. I thought you both were letting you rage get the better of you. I didn't know that he had threatened Cassie with Azkaban or that he stole Harry from her. I'm sorry Cas." He croaked after a while.

"Right, it's well overdue for lunch. Let's go have dinner."

Cassie went to round up the children for dinner. Harry was surprised to see Remus there but it appeared as though everyone had made up. He was glad. The family sat around the table, eating food and pulling the magical crackers. Harry loved them.

After dinner, they sat in the living room, eating chocolates and playing board games. It was the best Christmas that Harry had ever had. It was the best Cassie, Sirius and Remus had had in years. Harry didn't want to ruin it but he was going to be asking his Aunt and Sirius to tell his friends the truth. He needed them to know everything, because being his friend put them in danger. He decided he would speak to them tomorrow. For now, he just embraced the laughter and the joy.

Unbeknownst to the residents until an urgent owl arrived from Amelia Bones, a student had been kidnapped from Hogwarts. His parents had allegedly fought in the first war against Voldemort. He'd been taken in the midst of the Yule Ball activities. Cassie was entirely unaware of the boys parents and felt truly awful at having not remembered them.
Shortly after the letter had arrived, Harry had awoken from a nightmare of a graveyard, where a young boy was trapped against a gravestone and Wormtail was stabbing him. Harry had hoped when the horcrux was removed this would entirely stop but sometimes when he was asleep he'd still slip into Voldemort's head. Harry rushed through to tell his Aunt when Regulus rushed through clutching his arm.
Harry and Regulus spoke at the same time.
"He's back."