Chapter nineteen

TRIGGER WARNING
MISCARRIAGE MENTIONED AND BRIEFLY DISCUSSED

Chapter Nineteen

Harry left Regulus' room and headed back out towards his parents portraits. They were sleeping leaning on each other. His mum's portrait was empty and she was in with his father. He just watched them for a little bit before deciding to speak to them.

"Um Mum, Dad! Wake up!" Harry watched as his parents startled awake. They glanced around before their eyes landed on him.

"Hey Kiddo, has it been a whole night already?" His dad asked.

"No, uh you see, I am worried about Aunt Cassie dad."

"Alright, in what way? Is she alright?" James asked worry laced in his voice.

"I don't think so Dad. She hasn't come to speak to you, she's hid in her room all night. I spoke with Regulus and he-"

"Regulus? Black?"

"Yeah, he lives here with us, did we not mention that?"

"No kiddo, you didn't. Okay start from the beginning."

"Oh okay, um so I know he's believed to be dead but um turns out Aunt Cassie saved him and helped him fake his death, I don't know how or all the details. Anyway, when Sirius turned back up at her door, she went and got him from wherever he was hiding. He's been living here since, he's helping take down Voldy. It turns out, he was with Aunt Cassie after you guys died. He says she feels guilty dad, that she is your opposite, he said shes the moonlight to your sunshine or something. He said you were always the one to pull her out of her Melancholy. I need to know how to help her, she saved me and shes defended me and shes gave me a home and I need to pay her back. I need to-"

"Harry sweetheart, take a breath. Your Aunt Cassie does not want you to pay her back, she saved you and gave you a home because she is your godmother, it is her right and her responsibility to do so. I know it didn't go to plan when your father and I passed on but she is not expecting you to pay her back, I promise you. She loves you and when you love someone, you keep them safe." His mum said smiling at him softly.

"I know mum but she's so sad. I knew Sirius was sad, it wrapped around him like armour but when he was talking to you last night, he seemed better but Aunt Cassie, she has the saddest eyes i've ever seen dad. She thinks we don't see, she thinks I don't see it but I want to help her."

"Alright kiddo, you have to relax and take a breath for m-" his dad was cut off.

"Harry bud, are you speaking to someone? Are you alright?" His Aunt Cassie appeared in the doorway, her eyes were read and puffy. She looked broken and yet here she was up in the middle of the night, up and worrying about him.

"Um sorry Aunt Cassie, I was um-" He stopped, he didn't want to upset her more.

She walked further into the room, Cassie knew who he was speaking to, she knew he would find it hard to not talk to his parents all night. She needed to be brave for him.

"What's wrong Harry? Why are you up at 2am?" she asked, not looking at her brother and sister in law.

Harry looked at her and he knew she really wasn't acknowledging his parents. How could he get her to just look at them.

"Harry is worried about you Cas, he says you have the saddest eyes he's ever seen and he thinks he has to pay you back." His dad cut him off.

Cassie startled, she knew they were watching her from their frame, she knew they were there and yet she wasn't prepared for his voice. The tears started before she could stop them. Harry immediately wrapped his arms around her.

"It's okay Aunt Cassie, you don't need to feel guilty, it isn't your fault. Please don't cry." He said softly.

James and Lily watched on from their portraits, if they had hearts, they would be breaking watching their child try to comfort his Aunt.

"I'm okay Haz. Tell you what bud, think you can go and get some sleep. I think i have a big brother I need to speak to okay?" Cassie asked, gently rubbing circles on his back.

Harry nodded, before giving her another cuddle, waving goodnight to his parents again and heading to bed.

"Hey Moonlight." James spoke softly.

Cassie's tears poured down her face, the familiar nickname bringing an ache to my heart.

"Hey Sunshine." Cassie replied and then she sobbed.

"Oh Merlin Moonlight, what are you trying to do to me? I can't even make it better, you gotta stop Moonlight, it's okay." James spoke, his voice cracking. Portrait or not, the potion his father created, allowed him to feel everything his human self would have.

"Oh Jamie, I am so sorry, I let you down. He went to those people and Dumbledore took over. I let you down, if the shoe was on the other foot, you would have never let that happen. Lily I am so sorry." She sobbed out.

"Cas, you didn't let us down. Breathe sweetheart. You done everything you could, Harry and Sirius told us. We let you down, we didn't listen, we put our trust in the wrong people when you were right there begging for us to do the opposite. You have got to stop blaming yourself sweetheart because we don't." Lily spoke, watching her sister in law break down in front her.

"When the news came that you hadn't survived and that they believed Sirius responsible and the rat was dead. I was in shock at first. I didn't get the chance to tell you both or Sirius but I um-" Her voice cracked, tears flowing.

"I um, I was um pregnant. I was only 10 weeks along. When you died and Sirius was taken. Regulus got in touch. I went to stay with him, I planned the funerals from there. The night before your funeral, I started cramping. It went on for hours, then the bleeding started. Regulus took some polyjuice potion and took me straight to St Mungo's. They told me I was losing the baby. I didn't have time to deal with it, I had to be up and ready the next day to lay you to rest. I couldn't let Dumbledore take over again, I had to do this bit right for you. He'd already taken Harry and Sirius was in Azkaban. Regulus is the only one who knows. I had lost everything in a week, you were all gone, my entire family, my future was gone. All i wanted was my big brother, i just need you Sunshine and you weren't here anymore. I was so mad at you. I'm still mad at you but-" She cut off, she cried even harder.

"Oh Moonlight, listen to me, I am so sorry we left you behind, I am so sorry we weren't there for you, I am so sorry we didn't let anyone know about the secret keeper ploy, I am so sorry that you went through such pain and loss without any of us there. If i had it in my power I would turn back time and we'd never move to the cottage. You are the strongest person I have ever known, you have gone through all of that and you still stand here. You still fought and WON! You won! You got Harry back and you got Sirius cleared of all charges. YOU did that! You somehow helped baby Black fake his death and go into hiding against Voldy. You did that Moonlight! You are the best of all of us. I am so proud of you and you have a nephew who adores you. You have nothing more to feel guilty for, we have nothing to forgive you for. I love you so much baby sister and the world better watch out, cause you are going to burn it to the ground to protect what you have left. You aren't alone anymore, Harry is there, Sirius is there and Regulus is there. You have your family Cas. It's going to be okay." James spoke, watching his beautiful baby sister break in front of him was torture like he'd never known.

"Oh Jamie, I miss you."

"I miss you too Cassie."