Chapter forty

Chapter Forty
After the eventful evening when they had announced to the Head of the DMLE and the Head of the Auror Corps. that Regulus was alive. Regulus had begun working closely with Amelia Bones. They compiled lists and plans of each infraction that Dumbledore had committed against not only the Potters, but the rest of the magical world. Amelia thought she had all the surprises when she found out about Regulus Black and his dossiers, but the manipulation that Albus had performed on the world was astounding.

She'd also been surprised by how endearing and charming Regukus had been. He was funny and sarcastic. Since her brother and parents deaths, things had been hard. She'd been trying to raise her niece Susan on her own, beating herself up with each and every decision she had to make. It was refreshing to spend time with someone who made her laugh.
In the short weeks they had been working together, he had become the favourite part of her day. She found herself disappointed when it was just another regular working day. Cassie was stopping by to check in on how things were going today. Amelia hoped she could be subtle about her growing attraction that she was forming to her friend's brother in law.

Cassie had told Amelia that she'd be stopping by to check in on the case against Dumbledore but really she wanted to check in on her friend. She had seen the smile appearing on Regulus face each day he had come home from working with Amelia. Sirius had been teasing his brother about the clearly growing attraction. Every Monday afternoon and Wednesday morning, Amelia would meet Regulus at his home in Shetland. They couldn't let out that Regulus was alive. Amelia was shuffling her papers around on her desk when Cassie stuck her head around the door.
"Hey, just thought I'd pop by and see how things are going?" Cassie spoke.
"Come in, come in! Do you want a brew?" Amelia asked
"Oh a cuppa would be great. Ive not had one yet today and the headache from lack of caffeine has begun." Amelia called for her secretary to bring them in a pot of tea.

Amelia leaned back in her chair and took a sip of her tea. She wasn't the most patient of woman, so she decided to be blunt with her oldest friend and cut to the chase.
"Alright Cas. Out with it, I know you aren't here to check in on the Dumbledore case. You've never been very subtle, it's the Potter in you. Jamie and Mr Potter were the exact same, so spit it out. Why are you really here?" She asked, raising an eyebrow at the woman.
Cassie laughed, despite the mention of her lost loved ones.
"You've never been patient Amy. Even in school, you couldn't wait for me to choose to tell you about Sirius and I. You leapt at me when I walked back into school from the pitch. Alright, fine! I'll not go round in circles, do you fancy my brother in law?"
Amelia promptly choked on her tea and spluttered out a "what?!"
Cassie laughed at the ruffled state her friend was in at the simple question.
"Oh c'mon Amy. He's been coming home all smiles and 'Amelia this and Amelia that.' Cassie said mimicking Reg's voice.
"So do not tell me, you haven't felt a change with you two?" Cassie interrogated.

"I-uh. Well. I. ALRIGHT! I find him charming and funny. It's not been easy since losing Edgar and taking in Susan. These past few weeks with Regulus have been wonderful. It's like my soul feels at ease. I- yes Cassie. I like your brother in law." Amelia managed to ramble out.
"Oh Amy! I'm so sorry. I wasn't here for you. I was poor company these past several years. I didn't know how to be without them. I was selfish." Cassie said.
"Cas! It's fine. Really it is. Regulus didn't go into any details but he did say it wasn't great, that he'd never seen so much uncontrolled magic. We all handle things differently, I buried my head in the sand too. With Regulus it doesn't feel hard. I don't feel like I have to be Lady Amelia Bones- Head of the DMLE. I'm just Amy Bones again." She replied giving Cassie'a hand a squeeze.
"Right! Enough mushiness. What are you gonna do about Reg?"

They chatted for a long time. Cassie convincing her to take a chance and that Regulus felt the same. By the end of that week Amelia had taken the bull by the horns and asked Regulus out on a date. Unfortunately, his small 'deadness non deadness' didn't make it very easy to date normally. Amelia instead decided to cook for him at her home.
Regulus had been surprised when Amelia had asked him out on a date. There was lessons he had a member of The Most Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, but he never thought of the idea of a woman asking him out. When he'd voiced this to Sirius, he'd laughed. Sirius then went on to tell him about when Cassie and he had gotten together, it had all been started by Cassie.
He'd been surprised to hear that after a quidditch win for Sirius, she'd ran out onto the pitch and flung her arms around him, kissing him, right there in the middle of the field. His big brother had always had a story or something to say to make him feel better, had done since he was a kid.
Life felt simpler these days, despite all the danger that was surrounding them. He had flooed promptly at 6pm to Amelia's home. She looked exquisite when she greeted him in the lounge. She was wearing a mid length golden dress, that cut in at the waist, hugging her curves perfectly. Her red hair was curled and down.
"You look beautiful." He breathed out.
"Not so bad yourself." She replied.

By the next morning, Regulus hadn't returned home from his date. They had stayed up all night talking and laughing. They had spoke about their childhoods, their dreams and aspirations for who they wanted to be. It all clicked together for them and by the end, they were a couple.