Chapter forty three

Chapter Forty Three
Days, following the defeat of Voldemort had been spent rounding up as many death eaters as possible, and taking back control of the ministry. Apparently Voldemort had managed to break into Azkaban without bringing attention to it. It explained Bellatrix being at the final battle. At the time none of the team had even gave it a second thought, too busy with the actual fighting. Cassie assisted where she could, but she had taken a trip back to the Potter vault. She was searching for answers on why Dumbledore won't had called to her. When the battle ended, and before they went home to the children. Cassie approached the body of the man who had kept her nephew from her. As soon as she gets, closer has wand shot from his hand and into hers. Something she didn't understand. The rush of power when the wand made contact with her was almost too much and she failed to her knees. If anyone was looking all the saw was an exhausted women, kneeling over the bodies of her enemies. As she tried to stand once more, she noticed Dumbledore blackened hand.
When had that happened? She thought.
When she reached out, she noticed he was holding a small stone. She picked it up, flipping it over in her hand. She noticed the markings on it, it was the mark of Grindelwald. Then she heard a voice calling her name, a voice that shouldn't be there. When she looked up, her brother, his wife and her parents were standing there in front of her. She was frozen to the spot, this couldn't be a thing. It must just be exhaustion from the fight, her mind has finally broken.
"You haven't lost your mind sweetheart." Her mother spoke.
"I most definitely have my parents are dead, you are all dead." She replied.
"Oh Cassie darling, I know it's difficult to understand and we are so proud of you." Her father spoke now.
" I don't understand you can't be here."
"What you don't understand sweetheart is that your father's family are not truly Potter's. They are Peverells." Her mother spoke gently.
"Peverells? Like the graves in Godrics Hollow?" She asked.
"Yes darling. My family descend from Ignotus Peverell. During the witch hunts, his granddaughter married Hardwin Potter. His eldest brother Antioch never had children but the middle brother did. Eventually spawning the house of Gaunt. Eventually the Peverell name died out, it was synonymous with death, no one wished to bear the name. Thus we became the House of Potter. I wish we could stay and it explain it more to you darling but the resurrection stone only gives us so long, take the stone, wand and cloak to the vaults. Look for Ignotus' portrait. He will explain all. We love you and we are so proud of you." Her father spoke.
"I love you too." She shakily replied watching as her family faded from view.

Which leads us to why she was at Gringotts and seeking out access to the Potter Vault. She needed to understand, she couldn't find anything on the Peverells. No books, nothing. She arrived at her vault, her account manager left to give her space. She began searching through all the items in the vault until finally right at the very back, she found some portraits covered in old sheets. She pulled them back, awakening the portraits below.
A woman with dark hair, hazel eyes and porcelain skin looked up at her.
"And who might you be?" The portrait asked.
"I am Cassiopeia Potter. And you are?" She asked.
"I am Lolanthe Potter."
Cassie stepped back, that's who married into the Potter family. She was a Peverell first.
"You were a Peverell, perhaps you can help. I am looking for your grandfather, Ignotus?" She asked.
"Oh yes, he is just behind me I believe."
Cassie said her thanks, waved her wand and moved the portrait out of the way. Before her stood an elderly gentleman, he had long grey hair and a long grey beard. Not dissimilar to Dumbledore, however he had hazel eyes that did not twinkle behind half moon glasses.
"Looking for me are you?" He asked gruffly.
"Yes, I have these items here." She said before lifting the wand and cloak in one hand, holding the stone in the other.
"Ah. You have rejoined the Deathly Hallows."
"Sorry? The what?" She replied confused.
"You mean you don't know what you have there? That my dear girl makes one Master of Death or in this case Mistress of Death." He replied. Cassie stumbled backwards. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, Mistress of Death? What in the name of Merlin was going on? She thought.
"No need to be afraid dear girl. Why don't you take a seat and I will explain it all to you, hmm?" He asked. Cassie conjured a chair and sat down shakily.
"Many years before you were born, my brothers and I roamed this land. We were necromancers, it was our natural gift. We were able to communicate with Death, he was our guide. As a gift he gave us his most precious items. The deathstick. The resurrection stone. Finally the cloak of invisibility. If we worked as one, they would aid us, however the power of the death stick tore us apart. Each of going our separate ways in the end. Antioch died first. He bore no children of his own. Cadmus had children with his first wife but when she died the stone drove him to insanity with how much he used it. He died soon after. The cloak never came with any mind warping powers, I used it for protection of my family more than anything. Thus why I died of old age. Before I died, death visited me. He said that the only way the Hallows would be safe to use, was if one of pure heart wielded them. He believed my line of descendants would be pure of heart. It would appear he was correct my dear. If you take a closer look at the wand, you will noticed a small marking that perfectly fits the outline of the stone, place the stone in the marking." He said waiting for her to do so. She cautiously followed his instructions, instantly the stone moulded into the wand, flooding her with power.
"If you take the wand and aim at the cloak. You don't need to speak, the wands knows what to do."
As soon as she aimed the cloak enveloped the wand, sinking into the wood. All three items merged together. She was knocked backwards by the force and an unkindness of ravens shot out from the wand. They gathered around her before shooting into her chest. She felt another presence in her head.
"Finally the pure of heart has united my hallows. Pleasure to meet you, mistress. I am death. Now the hallows are one, you will be immortal for as long as you so choose. They will protect you and yours. You are safe now, mistress." Then it was gone.
Cassie stayed where she was for hours, asking questions of ancestors she never knew before she returned to the Manor. Explaining what she could to her family.