Chapter twenty five

Chapter Twenty Five

Sirius had worked everything out with Harry, he was going to propose at Christmas and if Cassie agreed to marry him, which given she still wears her original engagement ring should imply she is going to say yes, but you never know. If she agreed they were going to marry on New Year's Eve. He wanted them to start the new year together. He was hoping that they could be done with Voldemort by then but he wasn't as hopeful as they were running out of time. He was heading to meet the closest thing he had left to a mother now that Dorea was gone.

Minerva was marking papers and awaiting Sirius' arrival, she hoped this wasn't bad news, she'd had enough of that lately. She had been surprised to receive his owl requesting to meet with her. She looked up when she heard the knock at her office door.

"Come in" She called.

Sirius walked into the office he had spent much of his youth in with James by his side. He felt a wave of sadness wash over him but he focused on what he was there for.

"Minnie! Thanks for agreeing to see me." He replied.

"Anytime Mr Black, what can I do for you?"

"Aw Minnie always straight to the point, never could distract you for long." Sirius replied laughing.

"Yes well.." She gestured for him to get a move on.

"I want to propose to Cassie, again. James isn't here this time for me to ask this time and Charlus was gone long before I got round to asking last time. I would like your permission to marry Cassie." He finished, he met her eyes and held her gaze.

Minerva was taken aback, she didn't think Sirius would be here to ask her permission to marry her goddaughter but she underestimated him this time. When she didn't reply Sirius continued.

"I have already asked Harry's permission, to which he laughed at me and told me it was no longer the 1950's and if his friend Hermione heard someone asking permission to marry another, she would throw a fit but nevertheless, I was raised a certain way, many of which was not always good but this stuck. I love her, I have always loved her. I let her down once and I promise to try to never let her down again." He rambled.

"Mr Black, stop. Whilst I agree with Ms Granger that times have changed, I respect that you feel this is appropriate to do. I am honoured that you felt that I was an appropriate replacement for both Mr Potter's, but you do not need my permission. Cassie has never taken that ring off her finger, Sirius. She has been intending to marry you since you first proposed on that godforsaken flying contraption."

"I know Harry told me that too but I want to start over, I want to ask her again on Christmas and then if she agrees, get married at New Year. I-"

"May i make a suggestion?" Sirius nodded. "Cassie loves you Sirius. She almost appears like her old self again, not quite whole but as close as. You do not need to plan an elaborate proposal. Ask her to marry you at Christmas but perhaps word it more along the lines of, 'Marry me at New Year?' She has already agreed to marry you, you are really only asking her to marry you on a certain date."

"Oh. I hadn't thought of that, I thought I had to make it all special."

"Oh Sirius, it will always be special. I expect an invite."

Sirius was overjoyed that Minnie still approved of him. He left to head home to Harry to agree on a new plan.

Meanwhile Harry was at home, writing letters to his friends. He hadn't heard from them since they had met in Hogsmeade. He was asking them to come for New Years and explaining about him hoping to attend the yule ball.

He had just sent the letter of when Sirius had gotten home.

"How did it go?" He asked his godfather, he knew the man had been nervous to face his old professor.

"She told me much the same thing you did about the permission thing but she told me that i don't need to re propose, I just need to ask her to marry me at New Year."

Harry laughed. "McGonagall is always right. I told you Aunt Cassie still wants to marry you, so lets plan the wedding."

Unbeknownst to Harry and Sirius, Cassie and Regulus has decided to travel to Little Hangleton to scope it out. They come across the old Riddle Manor and instantly felt the dark magic inside. Regulus had found the old newspapers from when the Riddle family mysteriously died. They cast some tracking spells to check the wards. The manor was unwarded, however, over the other side of the Manor was an old looking shack. The shack was covered in dark magic and old wards. Cassie was taking notes of all the spells and wards on the shack.

"I think the horcrux is inside the shack, he's inside the old manor but obviously assuming he is safe there as he doesn't know that anyone else knows his real identity. What do you think?" Cassie asked.

"Agreed. His arrogance will be his undoing. I think if we can put together a large enough team, this can be the sight of the final battle. We take down the wards on that shack and set it alight with the Fiendfyre. This will distract him long enough to allow another team to attack the wraith form in the Manor. Hopefully capture Pettigrew in the process?" Reg replied.

"Definitely, lets head home and contact Aunt Min and Uncle Al. It's time we finalise the plans." Cassie replied. 

Hermione was sitting in the Great Hall having some lunch when she spotted the familiar white owl soaring into the room and dropping a letter to her, Fred and George and Ginny. She recognised Harry's scrawl immediately.