Chapter thirteen

Chapter thirteen

Sirius was tackled by his godson on the couch, Regulus was laughing at them from the other side. Sirius had been trying to spend some time with Regulus the last couple days, they were beginning to heal slowly from their childhood. Sirius flung a cushion at Regulus' head.

"Shut up Reg!" Sirius laughed.

Regulus gaped at his brother as Harry began laughing at the two brothers. It made him wish he had a sibling, he always felt that way around the Weasley's too.

"Sirius, I met my grandparents portraits and whilst talking with gran, I wondered if mum and dad had portraits. Aunt Cassie thought you might know?" he spoke quickly, tapping his hand on his leg nervously.

Sirius paused for a moment, he had forgotten that they had discussed the portraits before they died. He was trying to rack his brain for the memory. Since Azkaban some of his memories were hazier than others.

Flashback

"Sirius mate, Lily and I have been talking. Remember dad made those potions for his portrait before he passed?" James said.

Sirius nodded in acknowledgement. "Yeah what about it Prongs?" he replied.

"Well, you know this war isn't ending any time soon. I hope with everything I have that Lily and I survive this but given Dumbledore's recent comments about the prophecy, we think there is a high chance we won't be-" James was cut off by Sirius.

"James mate, you and Lils will be fine, we will keep you safe. Old moldy isn't getting anywhere near you! We don't need to talk about this."

"Aw Pads. We do. I know you don't wanna hear it and believe me I don't wanna be saying it but I don't have the luxury, Harry doesn't have the luxury of Lils and I not being realistic. He's gonna come for my son Pads and I will give my life if it means keeping him safe. I need you as his godfather to be strong for him, if we aren't there."

"Merlin Prongs! I-I, damn it, you know the idea of this world without you is not a world I ever want to think of but your right if I am to be there for Cass then I need to be strong but Prongs I might not survive this war either you know. Godric knows that crazy bitch Bellatrix is determined to kill me for being a blood traitor, so maybe you need to have this conversation with Cass too?" He replied.

"Pads, I can't talk to my sister about this. We aren't seeing eye to eye at the moment, she doesn't trust Dumbledore and she's doesn't want us to move out of the manor. I know deep down what she is saying makes sense but Merlin Pads I am scared out of my mind that Lils and Harry are in danger. I have to protect them in anyway I can and if Dumbledore thinks he can do that, then I need to try because I couldn't live with myself if they-" he cut off with a sob.

"James mate, Cassie loves you with all her heart. She feels the same way you do about Lils and Harry but she is also thinking of her brother, her twin, the very person she hasn't ever been without since the day they were born. She is terrified that one day you might not be here and she didn't do everything she could to keep you safe. She would give her life to keep your family safe. I know you are scared but Dorea always said that if you can't put your faith in family who can you. I know Dumbledore is the all powerful but Cassie loves you." he replied pulling his brother in all but blood into his side.

"I know Sirius, it's just I have to do this my way."

"Okay James. Finish what it was you wanted to tell me."

"Well we are gonna have portraits done, we are gonna try use dads potions. Not sure where we will leave them as we won't be in the manor."

"Put them in Gringotts, or if you decide somewhere else and the worst was to happen, you can always put it in your will."

"Your right Pads."

Sirius came out of the memory when Harry started waving his hand across his face.

"Sirius I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you, I just wondered. Sorry." Harry spoke softly.

"Oh Prongslet, don't be sorry. My memory has been a little hazy since Azkaban and you triggered a memory I had forgotten. Harry your father loved you and your mother so much. He put his faith in Dumbledore against Cassie's wishes and well this is the outcome. Promise me Harry that if your Aunt Cassie thinks something is off, you trust her. Her instincts have never been wrong yet. She never liked Pettigrew, she disliked Lily's sister, she never trusted Dumbledore. She's always had a good read on people. James isn't at fault for what happened, he loved you both so much that he couldn't think straight when it came to your safety. He came to me to discuss the portraits. I tried to put him off I didn't want to think of something happening to them and it was the first time I ever saw your dad cry. I think their wills will reveal if they done the portraits."

"Aunt Cass said they disagreed about moving to Godrics Hollow before they died. I understand why dad thought he could Dumbledore, he always makes you think he cares for you but Merlin he was brave to go against Aunt Cass. She was scary when she arrived at school, I thought Dumbledore was gonna have a stroke when he saw her. I don't know what happened to their wills, would Gringotts know?"

Sirius laughed, picturing his fiance terrorising the old headmaster just by her existence.

"Yeah they should have them, I'll grab Cass and we will go okay? Go get ready."

Harry took off to his room and Sirius turned to Reg who was watching him closely.

"Sirius it wasn't your fault either that James trusted Dumbledore and that you all trusted Pettigrew. They were very convincing. You know Cass didn't always distrust Dumbledore, it was when he refused to keep me safe that she turned on him."

"He what?!"

"She never told you? I thought she'd have told you, I thought you just agreed with him and-"

"Agreed about what Reg?"

"When they wanted me to take the mark Siri, I was scared out of my mind, I think deep down I didn't believe what they said but merlin you were gone and they were nice to me sometimes. I went to Cass one night to tell her what they wanted me to do and she said Dumbledore will help you, he'll get you out. We went to him and he refused to help. He said that- he said that it was who I was, I was destined to become everything they wanted from the Black heir and that my fate was sealed the day the hat shouted Slytherin. I tried to tell him that I asked the hat to put me there, that it wanted me in Ravenclaw originally but after what happened with you I was so scared to be different. He didn't care and said that was a Slytherin enough move as I was thinking of myself only. Cassie chewed him out and we left. That's why she helped me fake my death all those years ago."

Sirius stood from the couch and pulled his little brother into a hug. He held him so tightly trying to show all the love he felt for him.

"If I knew, I would have hidden you before that fucking mark touched your skin. I love you Reg. Fuck Dumbledore, fuck our parents and fuck it all. You are my brother and I was always be on your side."

"I asked Cass not to tell you about Dumbledore, I just thought she would've eventually."

"Well i ended up in prison so maybe she would've eventually but Cass is loyal Reg, if you asked her not to she wouldn't."

The brothers hugged again before seperating and Sirius went to find Cass.