Chapter forty four

Chapter Forty Four
The war against Tom Riddle ended on the 2nd May 1995, well the final fight happened then anyway. The real war didn't end then, despite Voldemort being gone for over a decade, his death eaters had infiltrated too many departments of the Ministry. The real fight began with the beginning of the trials, the first death eater trial to be precise. Regulus Black's trial was the longest one held. His trial uncovered exactly how deep rooted the corruption of the Wizarding government ran. Reg had been questioned at length about who and what happened during the first war, and many revelations were made. Many of those sitting on the Wizengamot had been active members of the death eaters. Regulus provided name after name, penseive memories and documents that he had made which detailed at length each individuals involvement.
By the end of the his trial, he had been pardoned for his role in the first war owing to the fact he was just 16 when the dark mark was forced onto him in the drawing room of his ancestral home and the thorough records he'd provided that took down those that remained unknown. It helped he was also known as the man who took down Voldemort. By the end of his trial, the original list of death eaters or dark lord sympathisers had tripled. Nearly a third of whom where Wizengamot members, who were rapidly voted out by the remaining 2/3s, and placed into Azkaban to await trial.

It took the first 4 months of hard, long and frustrating trials and investigations before all were either given the kiss, put through the veil (this became an option when it was decided that dementors required to be destroyed) or given life in Azkaban. Cassie and Sirius had sat in every single trial. They watched as people they'd known in school or had grown up with were put through the veil. The following 4 months began the requirement to replace the Wizengamot members who had been removed. Many family trees were studied, expert genealogists were brought into study family trees and ascertain who in society was the potential one next in line. Eventually many lines thought long died out, were found in muggleborns. It brought a new start to the chambers, whereby many different beings, creature, witches and wizards were now voting members of the government.
Laws were changed or re drafted to allow elf's to be free, to carry wands, for werewolves to be provided wolfsbane potion free of charge and better employment rights when they required time off for the full moon. Muggleborns had a place within the Ministry for the first time ever.

Hogwarts curriculum was completely changed, new courses were brought in. Children were taught muggle subjects as well as magical. Minerva had taken over as headmistress, she had renewed the wards on the school, which had been damaged by Dumbledore in his time at the school. Amelia Bones took over the Minister of Magic, she released a full length statement and acknowledgment of all that Albus Dumbledore had done in his time as Chief Warlock and headmaster.
The wizarding world was appalled and scandalised to learn how the once great man had actually manipulated the world around him, forming child soldiers to fight his war.

The hero's of the final battle were all awarded an order of Merlin first class. The goblins were also awarded an order of Merlin for their assistance in the destruction of the horcruxes.

Harry had been terrified when his aunt had gone off to fight Voldemort. He didn't think she'd come back alive, but when she stepped back out of the floo, and he'd been released from the body bind Tippy had placed on him, he lunged for his aunt pulling her into him and hugging her as tightly as he could manage. She'd changed his life, saved him and his friends and gave them more love than they'd ever had before. She held him back just as tightly.

By the end of the year it was time to return to school, now that the threats against him were gone and he'd managed to keep up with his schooling for the year he wasn't there, he had been allowed to return with his own year. He was excited to be back at school, he and Ginny had began seeing each other. As had Fred and Hermione along with George and Susan.
He still wasn't talking to Ron, who had chosen to stay with his mum when Arthur had chosen to file for divorce following her treatment of their older sons. She'd been implicated in some of Dumbledore's crimes against Harry, she'd been let off with a fine. Arthur soon climbed the ladder at the Ministry now that no one was greasing the hands of others. He'd became Head of Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophe's.
On the eve of the children returning to school, Cassie found out she was expecting a baby. She had gathered everyone for a family meeting that night. The kids thought it was about them returning to Hogwarts.

"I'm sure you are all wondering what this meeting was for, and I promise it is a good one. I haven't been feeling great these last few months, and I went to a healer today. I am expecting a baby, due in March." She said tearfully. Sirius leapt from his seat and pulled her into him. They held each other for a moment before Cassie sat back down.
"I have been pregnant before and lost my baby, however, this will not be my seventh child because of that. I need you all to know, blood or not, borne by me or not, you are all my children and I love you all equally. This new baby will not change that ever. You will always have your rooms in this Manor, you will always have a home here with Sirius and I. We just have a new baby sibling for you." She said with watery eyes.
"Aunt Cas, we never thought we were being replaced or anything. We are all very happy for you-
"Yeah Mum, we can't wait for another little brother or sister-
"Yeah I finally get to be a big sister-
"We'll teach you Ginny, after all we are your best big brothers, isn't that right mum?" Fred finished for them all.
Cassie began crying a little harder, that was the first the kids had called her mum, and it made her whole. All she could do in that moment was nod.
Finally she had her family.