Chapter forty two

Chapter Forty Two

With the new year coming and going, it was time to sit down with their team. Cassie and Sirius had implemented their plan to out death eaters within the ministry.
Working with Rufus, they began calling meetings with all of the Auror Corps. Tea, coffee and an odd bottle of Ogden's finest were made available, however, they were all spiked with Veritaserum. Cassie and Sirius were under James' old cloak in the corner of the office, whilst Rufus carried out the 'questioning', all done under the guise of meetings to discuss promotions. They planned this because they knew they would need the assistance of the Auror Corp when they finally took the fight to Voldemort. Thankfully he hadn't managed to fully infiltrate the Auror's yet, only 5 had been ruled out of the fight.
Once questioning was complete, those working for Voldemort were obliviated, meanwhile those in the clear were brought into a meeting to discuss the final battle.
The closer they got to the fight, the adults had agreed, that all the children should be together.
Each child was collected at Hogsmeade. Fred, George, Hermione, Ginny and Susan were all pulled from school. The adults made the decision that they deserved to know about the plans and to comfort each other when the day finally comes.
It took a while for Amelia and Regulus to explain their relationship and what had been going on in the background since Harry had left in the middle of the champions announcement. Once that was complete, the children were sat down together and were given time to ask any questions they had about what would happen, before and after the battle. As expected there were many more questions regarding after the battle, in particular if they were unsuccessful and did not make it home. They discussed what, if any, Harry's involvement would be. For the first time since he had arrived in his Aunt's care, he had a strong magical outburst at being left out. Fred and George had pulled Cassie and Sirius aside, as they were concerned about what would happen to them if they didn't survive. Cassie assured them that they would be looked after no matter what happens.
The day had finally came, 14 years after the death of James and Lily. The end of Voldemort had arrived. With the help of the goblins, Regulus and Cassie had nearly concluded their journey in the destruction of the horcruxes.
The only two left were the snake and the main soul piece. They had assembled the best team they could without involving Albus Dumbledore. Joining the trio on their mission to destroy the Dark Lord, was Amelia Bones alongside the Auror Corps (well those of which they had secretly managed to dose with truth serum and confirm they were not death eaters), Auntie Min and Uncle Al, Moony and Tonks, finally Andy and Ted. It wasn't a large army of people but strong warriors who would be able to fight the worst death eaters.
The trio had decided that Harry would be remaining at home with the rest of the children and Tippy. Cassie, James and Lily had spoken to Harry at length about his safety and that the removal of the horcrux in him had nullified the prophecy. James and Lily explained that although they wish it had never came to this and that they had gotten to be there to raise and protect him, they didn't sacrifice themselves for him to go and sacrifice his. By the end of that conversation, they had decided to handover the secret keeper for the Manor and Regulus' home to both Harry and Susan.
The assortment of guardians felt it safer should the worse happen that it would be secure locations if both Cassie and Sirius don't survive.
Cassie sat in their bedroom, willing her nerves to settle. She had been getting her affairs settled. Sirius, Regulus and Cassie had decided to make their own portraits. They had been given to Tippy to give to Harry should anything happen. Cassie had written letters to all her family just like James had done for them. She wanted all their kids to have the closure she'd waited years for. These were placed in the frames of the portraits. Now with nothing left for her to do, it was time to give her kids a goodbye.
Cassie wrung her hands together, placed her wand in her holster, made sure her dragon hide armour was in place under her robes, took one last glance around her childhood bedroom and then walked out for what could be the last time.
Sirius, Regulus and Amelia were in the lounge attempting to keep the children calm and as relaxed as possible. They glanced up as she entered the room. It was time. She gave Sirius a tight smile.