Chapter 14

Snow melted, plants started budding and blooming, signs the spring equinox is in full swing. Aiden and many others left on the first day of spring, it seemed like all the 16 year old men left for it, except Jace. I tried asking him why he did not go and he just avoided the conversation all together. Ryland wouldn't even tell me either, I was getting really sick of these secrets and crap.

Even though there was new growth on the ground, there was none with me. My thoughts and dreams still drowned in blood and memories. Closing my eyes was the worst part of my days. Even walking through the city I would hear children scream with laughter and my mind would bring me back to the Rivaaks and then to Callen.

In herbology we would now go beyond the gates and forage with Ione, she would teach us about growth and stages of the plants and which stage does what for potions.

We would gather things then in the classroom make potions out of them. Some of the other kids' potions would normally turn into stink bombs, or turn strange colors due to them mixing it wrong.

Mine and Em's would too from time to time, but for the most part we both would be able to help each other and be able to figure it out or fix them.

In Kents class we were now finally going over cethin's, Binx was the center of attention for a week. He would change form from time to time, but for the most part stayed a wolf. Kent found that Binx was a younger cethin, since he didn't really seem to use other abilities and essentia that they can do.

Cethins not only control the shadows around them, but they can also mimic any essentia and a creature of whatever they want as long as they have seen them before.

This was the first time he has ever seen one be a familiar. There is not much known about them, so this was more of an excuse for Kent to study one up close, we don't even know what they like to eat or if they eat. I have never seen Binx eat, I had tried before yet he just never cared.

Emberleigh could no longer handle being in Kents class so she dropped it and was able to get into a class with Hudson. Learning about the monsters freaked her out even more and taking a toll on her, no one blamed her.

Being scared of the creatures was not a thing for me anymore, at least for now. The real fear was if someone close to me was killed or died at any moment. Learning of the creatures was helping me a ton with coping as well as making me feel in some way safe, learning their weaknesses.

The time came when we talked about what happened over winter break, the class was silent. The creature was called a dobercur.

"They are not an actual wild beast, someone is behind them controlling them, they do not work alone. Those who can summon these kinds of creatures normally are arrested or forced under a essentia null contract where they get a piece of special crystal embedded into their body."

So that means, someone had summoned the dobercur on us in the center, they purposely did that, but why? There were so many kids there, why would someone go after kids?

"Is it possible for another creature to be able to summon them?" Someone raised their hand asking, they were also there when it happened. We did learn of some creatures able to summon smaller ones or clones of themselves to help hunt or fight.

"That is something the kingdoms are looking into, if some beasts have been able to evolve over time. There are some out there that can summon as we have already learned. We do not think it's possible for this to happen because a dobercur is such an advanced summon."

I believed that it was summoned by someone, probably from the outer ring and they wanted some satisfaction from something. There has always been some sort of mini fight between all the rings in the city. Maybe someone is just taking charge of it all and making a big dangerous move.