Chapter 31

By morning when waking up, Jace was no longer there though his spot was now filled with a massive lump of Binx looking right at me. Slowly getting out limping over to the bathroom, filling the tub with warm water to finally wash off fully.

My leg and midriff was now fully black and purple, tender to the touch. Cleaning up and bandaging the ugliness back up I hobbled my way down stairs.

For a bit I just walked around trying to get myself to walk as normal as possible. Getting it pretty good I left for Poppy's, Binx right by my side and Ryland nowhere to be seen.

Poppy greeted me with massive open arms hugging me tightly, she even had me go upstairs to show her my wounds. Giving me more herbs and another salve before putting me right back to work. The day went by quickly just sitting at the table grinding bones to powder and berries to mush.

Getting ready to leave she stopped me by putting out a note, "do me a favor and take this up to Kent, I need a few supplies and with the creatures nearly flooding the forests we cannot get them so easily."

Looking at the paper, "I could always get them for you."

"Hell no, not in your condition besides Kent is most likely bored. Now run along and head up there before he leaves."

Knowing there was no winning this conversation I headed out though right outside the door I was met with a very excited Emberleigh "LILY!"

She put me in a tight bear like hug "we gotta head to my Auntie's to get your measurements for the dress!''

Of course she was here for that and of course Ryland told her before me. Dressing up and clothes in general were her favorite things. She was always upset that I was never into material things or really getting dolled up with her.

Groaning with a pout, "do we have to?"

Grabbing and pulling my arm, wincing in pain as my torso and leg twisted with her "yes, yes we do"

Getting my balance back we walked over the river to the center market. Her Aunt was the city's favorite seamstress. Almost everyone had at least one piece of her clothing or at least wanted something made by her. When Em wasn't with her partners she'd be here working with her Aunt.

Bells rang when we opened the door, a very eccentric woman with flaming red hair pinned up by a knitting needle came bustling out to us.

"Oh sweet child I am so excited to make this dress for you, come come now." Just like Em she took my arm having me stand up on a small stage like step.

"I don't have to take my clothes off for this right?" She was rummaging through baskets, throwing a few measuring tapes around her like a scarf.

Pulling out a quill and paper "oh no no, this will be fast too, now arms up."

She started wrapping various pieces of my body in the number tape writing down different measurements. Standing and moving around all day has really made my body tired, the numbing salve was also starting to wear off so any other extra touch was making me tremble slightly.

Emberleigh threw fabric around herself while looking in a mirror to see what it'd look like on her.

"Auntie May, we have to make sure her dress is perfectly flowy and trailed in tulle."

Whatever the hell tulle was I probably did not want it, I've only ever worn linen dresses and skirts or mens trousers. Not because I didn't like nicer clothes, but because what I do for work, it just isn't practical for me since I get so dirty through the day covered in either flour or mud.

"Oh we will don't you worry" May winked at me with a smile. After a few more moments of poking, prodding, measuring we were finally done and said our goodbyes.