Chapter 24

The city was eerily silent for days, no one was on the streets of the inner ring from what I could tell. Training was on a big break while Ryland got his men under control, they needed their own training to be ready and working right away.

With everyone not having abilities all guilds will be at a low and easy for someone to undermine whoever they wanted. Ryland needed to get the upper hand immediately. I was not allowed to leave the house the entire week, even him not having his abilities I could tell he was anxious.

King Evander came knocking one evening while Ry and I sat in the living room. Before Ryland opened the door for him he immediately looked at me fiercely in a low taut voice.

"Keep your mouth shut until you are spoken to." I nodded with a monotone expression.

Evander came in quietly as he walked to the seating area. I could feel the irritation on him as he sat down across from me, his stare piercing through me.

Keeping my mouth shut, "do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Shaking my head. "speak girl."

"No, I do not, I have nothing more to say to you or anyone else. If you are asking for an apology you will not get one."

Rylands jaw tightened, Evander was unfaltering "I do not believe you understand the ramifications of your actions."

Shrugging at him, raising my chin up, "I did what was necessary. Since the people's own King will not look after them I guess I will."

He leaned in as if he had all the power in the world, trying to intimidate me. Though at this point we were equals, the only power he had over me was being a King and I highly doubted he would do anything to me.

"I did what a King would do, a child would not understand these actions."

Smirking at him and scoffed, "A King would have let me die so his enemies would not enter his territory. The towers would have never had to go up if you just had me killed."

The king's fist balled up, "This would have happened regardless, they just came here more peacefully because of you. If you were to die it would have been an all out war right now and messier. With this we have bought time to prepare."

Crossing my arms, and sitting criss-crossed on my feet, "then tell me this, why am I so damned important that a war would break out over my death? Blagden has been killing mordls for years, children, adults, women, everyone." I wanted answers.

He laced his fingers together leaning back into the chair. "Honestly Lily, I have no answer for you. There is something about you everyone wants to keep alive, me, the Sutara and I am more than positive now Leon does too. I know that only because he would never have given us the option for an antidote, he would have killed you on the spot. The man has no mercy."

Uncrossing my legs and leaning in to mirror his actions, "so what is your plan for me then."

Evander brought his gloved hands up to his chin, thinking of his response. "I should make you come and live in the castle."

Rylands head snapped right to Evander, "that is out of the damned question."

The King looked at Ry "she would be better off in every way if she did and you know it Ryland."

Ryland shook his head "no she would not at all, your men are about to commit a mutiny on you and she will be involved. My men have sworn their lives to watch over her, that is more than yours will ever do."

My heart was pounding. Living in the castle would ruin absolutely everything. I already felt trapped in the city as it was, but being behind castle gates would make me feel even worse. I could not go back to a life of dresses and being proper.