Nathan's POV

It's raining

I sprint through the courtyard, knowing that no matter how fast I run I'll still get soaked. I overslept for the ninth time this month and now was going to hear an eons long lecture from Mr. Smith. Hopefully Mr. Smith would let this go for the ninth time -I couldn't risk detention- not if I wanted to stay at Rosemary Hall for another year.

Everyone else has daddy's money to depend on, I don't even have a dad. My creation was the result of an isolated omega in a desperate heat and an alpha that saw an opportunity. I grew up across the street from the back alley I was born in. All we had to eat most nights was bread from the factory Mom worked in and fish from the creek I would stumble across.

I got into Rosemary Hall on luck and luck alone. A sponsor hunted for a poor soul to save in the peasant communities and came across me, coated in mud, at the age of 14. If you don't know it yet, allow me to be the first to tell you that the rich love to adopt the poor as pets and property. I knew this then, and rejected his offer. My home had no roof but it had memories and my mom waiting to ask me about my day. The sponsor was persistent enough to stalk me home and offer my mother a cash prize in exchange for me.

She took it.

She sold me for $10,000 and a house in the city.

Before my sponsor, I had never been to a doctor, or a clothing store, or a restaurant. The first week I was with my sponsor was full of random tests with random doctors. I had known of Alphas, Betas, and Omegas but never knew which one I was until then. Turns out I'm an alpha, not a high ranking one, but nevertheless an alpha. My sponsor was enthused by the news.

The second week I was with my sponsor was spent overeating foods I had no idea existed. Fancy fish, fancy bread, fancy fruit- I had spent my life bland and basic. My sponsor said I was malnourished, and it wasn't long before my body caught up with my age. I spent the next few weeks studying food, business, French, and finance by tutors before my sponsor sat me down in his office.

"From now on, you will be on your own." His once threateningly gruff voice was now somewhat comforting.

I nodded.

"You've been with me for nearly a year now and have grown into a suitable heir," He smiled yet I frowned. I didn't want what he had already given me and now he was passing his wealth down to me. "Now, you will attend Rosemary Hall. I expect you to score top marks and then return to take your place as CEO."

I nodded.

That conversation was 4 years ago, and now at age 19 I was finishing my last year at Rosemary Hall. I had managed to avoid mating, and socializing in general. Everyone at Rosemary Hall sipped from gold cups and ate with gold forks, wiping their entitled mouths with silk napkins and reapplying their ridiculously expensive makeup. There was no point in playing pretend, afterall, who would be my friend if they knew who I actually was?

During my third year, someone had been outed as middle class. Unfortunately for her, she was not only "poor" but also an omega. She was found in the basement after having over fifty alphas take advantage of her heat. The school paid her and her family half a million in exchange for silence. Omegas are the most at risk, but even an alpha is defenseless against a hoard of pureblood predators.

"Nathan? Are you listening to me?" Mr. Smith sneered as I snapped back into reality.

No Mr. Smith, I was telling my life story

"Sorry Sir, I zoned out-" I bit back a snarky remark, "-Please tell me again."

"No, nevermind. It's no issue." Mr. Smith resumed teaching as I took my seat in the back, my shoes squeaking behind me.

My books were damp, my shirt was see-through, and my tie wasn't tied, but at least I was only 10 minutes late and not an hour like usual. People were whispering around me as I shifted in my seat, quickly attempting to fix my appearance but I don't think it made a difference. I was soaked, squeaky and shivering.

"How unfortunate." One of my classmates sneered as he snapped his fingers, a servant ran over to pick up their pencil and was thanked with a glare.

I bit my tongue, resisting the urge to thank the servant myself. I had spent everyday surrounded by spoiled brats who took etiquette classes but never used the manners they learned. Like everything else here, the etiquette classes were for show. Just another way to claim rewards from charities. The servant scurried away like a rat as my classmate shooed them off.

I don't why it still bothered me when my peers played with their toys. Servants often had collars with crests matching their employer, another sign of wealth and ownership. Most of the servants looked like me and there were times I'd get confused for one- which led to comedic comments from my peers and an uncomfortable silence from me. I could easily end up as a servant here if I slipped up, and then I'd have my own collar and leash to be dragged around- I'd have my own place beside one of their dorms and orders every second of every day.

The door bursts open, pulling me out of my thoughts. Mr. Smith leaping behind his desk and yelping, "TAKE COVER!". We all stare as two tall men, their pheromones forcing fear to spark as they hold piles of cloth and gleaming jewels. The pheromones slowly sink away as a shiny black boot peaks through the door, followed by a head of perfectly placed golden hair.

"Rise," shouts one of the men. We stand.

"Introducing-" The other man shouts, "-Prince Maximus of Macmillius the third, heir to the Macmillian multinational establishment's."

Why's my heart racing?