XXⅠⅠⅠ

Max's POV

"Will you marry me?"

The love of my life was holding out a shiny gold ring, asking me to be his forever. Despite the flood of emotions, I couldn't leak out a single word. I was frozen, trapped in a surreal dream- a fantasy. All I could do was nod as tears streamed down my face, my nausea disappearing. I searched for something to convey the depth of my love, but my head was completely blank as he tilted my chin up.

"Max, I need to hear you say it..." His low voice made my heart race, "You don't have to say yes if you don't want to-"

"Yes!" I yelled between sudden sobs, "Yes I'll marry you!"

Nathan's POV

He said yes

"Max, I-" I leaned in to kiss him but he jumped back, "What's wrong?"

"I'm all stinky and I bet I taste horrendous right now!" His ears burned red as he buried his face in my chest.

"Max, I don't care." I covered his face in kisses as he giggled and protested, wiping his tears.

I had spent time at the villa writing my proposal; draft after draft after crumpled draft. I needed a perfect ring for Max, something that was as lovely as his smile and as precious as his heart. I visited the nearby blacksmith daily, sneaking out of the villa, to discuss the ring designs I sent him and watch him forge the ores and jewels. The ring was stunning, but the box I had it in was beige and bland.

My arms tightly wrapped around his body, clinging to him as tears welled in my eyes

My arms tightly wrapped around his body, clinging to him as tears welled in my eyes. I wanted to shower him with flowers on a romantic dinner date, and then pop the question when he turned around after watching fireworks. I wanted to have everyone around us clap and cheer as we embraced, emotional and excited for our future. I wanted to give him a proper proposal instead of a rushed proposition.

"Nathan? Are you okay?" His gentle hands wiped my tears as he smiled softly, "Are these happy tears or sad tears?"

I have to protect him

"Happy tears," It was only partly a lie- I was happy and sad. Happy to see him happy, sad I couldn't make him as happy as I wanted to.

"Nathan, if something troubles you-"

"Max, I'm fine." I inhaled sharply, "I just...didn't expect you to say yes."

"Why would I say no?" He stared up at me, "This is everything I wanted and more. No one makes me happier than you, Mon amant."

His lips were softer than the silk sheets, caressing mine as my hands cupped his face. My breath quickened as each kiss sent waves of desire washing over my body. Our tongues danced together as his hands explored under my shirt. I tangled my hands in his hair, holding him closer as desire became desperation. To my disappointment, our lips parted.

I quickly carried him to the bathroom as he gagged, his face flushing as he covered his mouth. I gently held his soft hair back from his red face and rubbed soothing circles on his back. His body trembled with each heave, spilling the contents of his stomach out as he whimpered. Finally, his tense body relaxed as he leaned back against the wall, his eyes irritated and swollen. I wet a washcloth with cold water and gently dabbed at his forehead and cheeks to cool him down, wiping away sweat.

"You're going to be alright," I whispered.

First the awful fever, now this. I should have the physician check to see if he has an infection of some sort

He cried out as he curled into a ball, "Thank you...for taking care of me."

I nodded, pulling him into a warm hug, holding him gently as he rested his head on my chest. We stayed like that for a while, enjoying the comfort of each other's embrace. Max drifted asleep, his hands tightly gripping my shirt as if I were going to disappear any minute. His lashes were long and thick, fluttering whenever he stirred. The palms of his hands were flushed and hot, his fingers clenching around my chest as he mumbled. I carried him back to bed and tucked him in before quietly laying beside him.

I wish I could see his dreams- Then I'd know exactly how to make him happy everyday.

Memory 2

"Everyone, please be kind to Prince Maximus, he is an omega which means you need to be gentle. Alright boys?" A petite woman smiles as a tiny boy grumpily stands beside her.

"I am not an omega! The doctor is wrong!" He stomps away, tears in his eyes as his peers whisper and sneer.

He sits in the hallway as he cries, his sniffles silent and eyes on the marble floor. The gold-haired boy was barely thirteen and already done with life. Being late to puberty was already embarrassing, but being titled an omega was mortifying. Now, his entire class knew about his weakness. People had suspected he was a beta when he failed to show any distinct traits, but the physician's tests said otherwise.

His body had grown a uterus, and it wouldn't be long before he had his first heat. The physicians predicted that within the following month it would happen and this left the boy paranoid. His father, who had now distanced himself, refused to allow him to take suppressants which meant he'd have to go through the pain alone.

"Are you...alright?" A shadow loomed over his small frame. "I apologize about everyone else! They just...need time to adjust I suppose-"

"Adjust to what? What's my status have to do with them?!" He scoffed in-between sobs.

"Nothing, it's actually none of their concern." The tall bulky boy sat beside him, "But they're all prissy pricks so of course they care."

The boy giggled in response to the vulgarity of this stranger. He had seen him around school but rarely did they interact. The boy normally was leading the lines or group assignments while the other was hiding in the back of the room. The boy accepted half of a candy bar from the stranger as he quickly wiped his tears.

"My name's Leonardo," his voice was deep for a fifteen-year-old. "What's yours?"

"Maximus-" The boy paused as he chewed, "-I'd prefer you call me Max."

"Alright then- Max," Leonardo's eyes gleamed, "Would you like to be friends?"

"Y-yeah," he stammered. As they shook hands, his heart raced.

How strange