Nathan's POV

Tea sept into my once pristine paper as the table shook. He stood above me, smiling as he slowly picked his cup back up. For the past 3 months he had spent all his spare time tormenting me. From soaking my clothes in the locker room to knocking my books into the fountain, it brought him joy just to disturb me.

"Oops," He grinned.

"You little-"

He hugged himself, his face flushing as he stared at me. Why was he becoming flustered from an insult? He didn't seem like the type to have a degradation kink. He was too cocky and short-tempered to enjoy being put down. He continued to stare at me, waiting for an insult.

"If you put as much energy into studying, you'd be such a good little scholar." I felt my anger bubble beneath my skin as his face turned cherry red.

"D-Don't you have something better to do?!" He shouted, immediately being shushed by the librarian. "See! Look what you made me do-"

"Shut up-" I stood up as my anger boiled over, "-Before I shut you up."

"Oh? Do it." He leaned closer, standing on his toes.

My breath hitched as I tried to calm myself down. His eyes were watching me so close, slowly slipping down my body as he pressed his lips into a thin pink line. My eyes shifted to those lips- perfectly plump- rounded and glossed. My mind went blank as his hand pressed against my chest, right on my heart as he looked up at me.

"You think my life is simple?" he whispered, "Have you ever yearned- no, burned- for someone who feels nothing for you?"

"I-"

"Have you ever felt something so strong all you could do is shake, yet the person causing it is stable?" His lips were so close...

"Listen, we-"

"Oui? Since when do you speak French?" He quickly turned on his heel and stomped away.

I squeezed my shirt, my heart racing as I watched him leave. What the hell was that and what the hell was happening to me? Why did my pheromones spike whenever he was near? He called me his mate, but that's impossible. I can't be mated with a pureblood, let alone one as snobby and mean as Maximus the third.

Maybe I need better suppressants...I'm not here to mate, I just need to graduate.

.。. :*☆~☆*: .。.

"You're building tolerance against suppressants. It's unwise to continue taking them, especially at high doses."

"I can't just stop taking them!" My pheromones spiked again, dammit. "What about my ruts? I've always taken a suppressant the day before it was meant to start-"

"You'll have to stop taking them and learn to manage your ruts." The physician sighed, "We cannot risk you building complete tolerance."

"And why not?!"

"Well-"

"Because-" Max popped out from behind the door. His voice made me shiver as tingles tickled my nerves, "-If anything happens where you need to be calmed...restrained even, and your body ignores the suppressant you could harm everyone around you."

His presence was somewhat soothing, somehow calming my panicked mind as he walked closer. His scent- god, that smell- was so intoxicating it made me lose focus of the issues at hand. He casually sat beside me, completely oblivious to what he was doing to my body. This was just another sick way of tormenting me.

"So I'm supposed to just hide away whenever a rut happens? I've never fully experienced a rut before!" I spat as I paced around the room.

"You'll either have to be isolated or room with your mate until your rut ends." The physician says as he doodles on his clipboard. "You do have a mate, correct?"

"I..." My eyes flickered over to him before shooting back to the wall, "I'll isolate."

"You'd rather isolate yourself than be my mate?" His voice cracked as he stared at the floor.

"That's not-"

"You really hate me that much," he mumbled.

My heart hurts...is this because of him? Are we actually...mates?

"I don't hate you- if anything you're the one who hates me!" I paced faster as I tried to keep my body busy.

"How am I the one-"

"Ever since you got here you've done nothing but torture me!"

"You can't be serious. You're the tormentor!" He stomped up to me, grabbing my collar, "You've done nothing but ignore it."

"Ignore what?!" I shuddered, the warmth from his bright face squashing my anger into astonishment.

"Stop acting stupid...I know you feel it," he whispered, his breath brushing my lips.

He smells like cinnamon...

He was right, I felt it. I felt all my senses activate the moment he was near. I felt my heart echo in my ears when I heard his voice. When he slept I felt every time he stirred and squirmed. The feelings would get too intense, and that's when I'd take another suppressor knowing I wasn't supposed to.

What else was I supposed to do?

"It's not like I want to be mated to you...but we do not have a choice here." His arms wrapped around my neck, "You're bound to me and I'm bound to you."

Dammit

"I can't be your mate. You said so yourself, I'm a mudblood-" I turned to the physician, "-Mudbloods and purebloods can't be mates, right?"

"There's no science behind the rules of fated mates, I'm afraid."

Fated?!

"Have his things moved to my dorm," He ordered the physician as he stomped to the door, "I'm not going to let you isolate alone."

"That's not for you to decide!-"

"It is when your health screws with mine!" He glared as he turned his back to me, "I'm not going to suffer because a mudblood refuses to accept his place."

"My place isn't even here at this school and you think it's with you?" I pulled him back as he started to walk out of the infirmary with the physician, "Don't ignore me-"

"You dare make demands, yet you cannot even look in my eyes when you speak to me!" A spark shot up my spine, the warmth from his skin making my mind mangled. "S-Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" My thumb pressed against his lips.

"Like you want me," Once again, we were inches away.

I hate that I do

"How long are you going to hold me hostage this time?" I cleared my throat as I backed away.

"Until the new semester starts, that should be enough time for you to adjust to your ruts and for me to learn to manage my heats."

"When you word it that way, you make it sound like some kind of assignment."

"Actually, it'd be called a project, assignments are shorter and-"

I didn't want or need a lecture on types of school work, but I couldn't help but pay attention to every single word that left his mouth. He was always so serious, always so focused. He would be the person everyone would turn to if it were an emergency for guidance, he would be the leader.

I'd follow you to the end

"Oi idiot! You dare ignore me?!" His tiny hands were slapping against my chest, "I'll hit harder if I have to you dumbass-"

His hands were half the size of mine, and twice as soft. Just touching them made my breath hitch and my mind lag. His nails were perfectly manicured, and as clean as mountain air. Lacing our hands together, I could feel every beat as his pulse soared. His eyes were wide and his face as red as his strawberry lips.

"You're short," Not what I meant to say.

"Burn in hell!" He yanked his hands back and ran away.

Seriously? Why'd I say that?!