XⅠ

Max's POV

A low hum buzzed around my body as warm water pooled around me, the gorgeous gardens and sunrise greeting my eyes from the bathroom window. I looked at him from the corners of my eyes as he brushed his teeth at the sink. He was...different. I couldn't quite place it, but his gaze was softer and his touch more delicate than usual.

Perhaps this is one of the lingering effects of mating...

"Wait, let me help you." He smiled as I squirmed, the aches sharp and stinging. He grabbed a sponge and walked over. "You should be resting."

"There's much too much to do for rest." I mumbled, his touch soothing the stabbing pain as he slowly washed me.

"Like what?" His voice teased my already melting mind, "I'd love to hear about what you've been plotting."

Curse that smile!

"Well for starters, I need to prepare to redecorate for autumn. I also need to prepare the staff for our return to classes and-" He silenced me with his stare, gently tilting my chin up to him.

My hands rested under his jawline as he pecked my lips, a familiar hunger in his eyes as they glanced at my neck. He gently dabbed the sponge against the mark as he kissed my cheek. He rested his forehead against mine, his jaw clenching as I returned his kisses. His skin was soft against my lips and his voice low.

"Max, I-"

"YOUNG MASTER-" A butler rushed in, immediately rushing out, "-GREAT HEAVENS, MY APOLOGIES!"

I felt my face flush as Nathan quickly helped me out of the bath and into my robe, carrying me out despite my protests. If the staff saw me as weak, they would stop following my orders. While my methods were often seen as cruel, they were important. I had heard of employee rebellions from Father's gentleman's club, and knew that all it took was one brave idiot to cause bloodshed.

Nathan sat me on the living room couch, quickly hiding last night's...events on the couch with the blanket. One of my butlers anxiously paced in front of me as maids brought out plates of my favorite teas and cakes. They only brought out my favorites when they were about to share something troubling, as if I were a child that could be easily swayed by sweetness.

How I adore this strawberry shortbread! Look at how cute the design is!

"You dared to interrupt a private moment, now hurry, tell me about this pressing matter." I bit into the pastry, squirming in my seat as the delicious sweetness coated my tongue.

"Young master...it appears your father, our beloved Lord, has been spotted."

The pastry fell from my hands, the words digging into my brain as a scalpel digs into flesh. Father had not been seen or heard from since I had been presented. The only reason I still lived so lavishly was due to his businesses being taken care of by exquisite management and loyal servants. Father had been reported seen before, but when I spoke to authorities they simply told me there was nothing to say. They had clearly been bribed, but by whom? His captors? No. Father had most likely faked this disappearance to escape the crushing disappointment of having an omega son.

"Max?" Nathan whispered as I staggered back to reality, his warm arms holding me in an embrace as he wiped my face. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing! This information is nothing and means nothing to me!" I needed a moment- No, a millennia alone. "Leave me be!"

"Young Master-" The butler was shaky and sweaty, like a pig before slaughter. "-Young Master, he sent you a letter."

A letter?!

"I..." My stomach felt like it was full of heavy stones.

"Please, give him a moment." Nathan held me in his lap, laying his head on my shoulder as I silently thanked him. "Leave the letter."

The help left in a hurry, most whispering as they whisked off. They frantically moved just like my thoughts, which were bouncing against my skull as I curled into a ball. Father had not sent anything in years and suddenly he sends a letter? It could not possibly be him, there was simply no logical way. What kind of father leaves his son for years, through their entire teenage life, and just decides to reappear? Truly, I did not remember his cruelty.

"Max, you don't have to read it-"

"Of course I do not have to but-" I turned away as hot tears flooded my eyes, "-I feel I must."

I hastily opened the letter, the paper shredding as I sunk back into Nathan's embrace. Everything about it was authentic, from the family-crest seal to the minty wax used. The paper resembled the paper from the family archive, yet it was odd to use for a letter. For another biography? Perfect. For a letter? Suspicious...

"What's it say?" Nathan whispered as he massaged my shoulders.

"I am still quality checking. Something seems...off." I mumbled as I held it up in the light. "Father would never just send a letter, and this ink isn't the raven black we use-"

"Max, you're stalling." He pecked my cheek as I felt my ears burn.

"Fine! I'll read his excuses!" I stared down at the thin paper, holding my breath.