XXⅠ

Max's POV

The grandeur of the school building had not faltered in our absence. The towering polished walls remained as stoic and polished as ever, the ivy that clung to it lush and green. In the courtyard, the marble fountain spewed crystal blue, casting rainbows in the spray that caught the afternoon sun as the gardens bloomed with bright, vibrant flowers.

"Only one semester left before graduation." I held onto Nathan as students parted around us, gossiping girls and disgruntled boys watching our every step. "How would you like to spend it?"

It was nice to feel grounded, planes always screwed my sense of balance. As we walked I felt my grip on his arm tighten, my mind easily losing focus. I had eaten and I had slept, yet I felt exhausted.

"I have exams, and my sponsor-" his jaw clenched, "-My father expects me to start preparing to take over the business."

"What kind of business does he own?" I squeezed my eyes closed, the bright lights and gleaming hallways stinging as my breath hitched.

"Restaurant chains and culinary schools," Nathan grumbled. "Are you alright?"

"Y-yes, of course." I turn away only to stumble, my legs heavy and vision blurring. Despite my best efforts to keep my wits about me, my body betrayed me. I opened my mouth to speak, to try and make sense of the chaos around me, but all that came out was a muddled and incoherent mess of words.

The world spun around me, my heart racing and my head swimming, my body growing weak and my mind clouded with a fog of confusion and dizziness. My tongue felt swollen in my mouth, my jaw clenching tightly as I fought to keep my balance. I was helpless, all I could do was gasp for breath and cling to Nathan as a ringing filled my ears.

.。. :*☆~☆*: .。.

My eyes slowly opened, an intense headache greeting me along with Nathan's smile. I felt groggy and somewhat lost, memories missing as I searched my brain. An IV bag was hanging beside me, pumping my numb body with fluids. The light was dim, only bright enough to see the outlines of furniture and Nathan's body.

"How are you feeling?" Nathan gently pressed a cup to my mouth, "Please drink, the physicians say you're dehydrated."

"Physicians..." I slowly sipped, a bitter fluid flowing into my mouth. "W-What is this?"

"Medicine for your fever, your temperature was one-hundred and one." He pushed my bangs off of my sweaty forehead, his eyes full of worry. "Why didn't you tell me you weren't feeling well?"

"I did feel well! But...then I suddenly felt unwell and now we're here." I shuddered, chills sinking down my body as I struggled to sit up. "How long was I asleep?"

"It's been two weeks..." Nathan squeaked out, burying his face in my neck. "They kept telling me you'd wake up and that I could leave but I couldn't leave you here alone."

"Two weeks?! My word, I have so much to catch up on-"

"Not until you feel better!" Nathan stood up to sit me back down, "You're not going anywhere until your temperature is completely normal."

"But-" I sit back up, "-What about preparing for graduation and finals, not to mention you have your own work-"

"To hell with it! I don't care about graduating more than I care about you!" His body tensed, his eyes glaring into mine. "All I care about is you."

Nathan stayed with me in the infirmary for three more days, anxiously anticipating my release as I focused on recovering. He insisted on spoon-feeding me, bathing me, and making sure I did not lift a finger. I felt guilty, he was overworking himself despite not being in class. He waited until I slept to catch up on his school work, and I had seen the piles of papers he attempted to hide.