XIX

Nathan's POV

"You are such an amazing chef!" Max hummed happily as he snacked on pieces of brisket. "How did you learn to cook so well?"

"I didn't really have a choice," I shrugged as I thinly sliced him another piece. "I got tired of eating boiled fish all the time so I learned to forage. You'd be surprised how much is in your backyard that you can make edible and delicious!"

"Really? I was always inside so I never really explored any land outside the estate. I doubt our gardens compare to nature's bounty," he pouted.

Cute

"Maybe our next date can be a walk through the park," I smiled as I fanaticized. I would hold his hand, shower him in flowers, feed him chocolate, and most importantly we'd carve our names into a tree. "If you'd like that, I mean-"

"I'd love that," His smile made my heart race and my face flush. "So, you enjoy being outside?"

"I learned to love it, I guess." I grimaced as memories of being stuck outside in the storms and snow flooded back, "What about you?"

"I much prefer being inside with a book and some tea." He held a berry up to my lips, "I do enjoy strolls from time to time but being around lots of people has always made me anxious."

"Really? You're always so bold, I never would've expected you to be introverted." I bite into the berry as his brows furrow, "Not that there's anything wrong with being introverted!"

"I do not mind being the center of attention, if anything I'm used to it. I suppose that's why I prefer being alone, it is exhausting constantly being on a pedestal." He sighed, toying with a piece of cheese. "Having to constantly meet a standard that was never set for me...sometimes I wonder if I will ever be enough."

"Hey!" I grabbed his shoulders, gently squeezing them as he stared at the ground. "Max, you're more than enough! I couldn't ask for a better mate, I mean you're the best thing that's happened to me since discovering that my favorite book had a movie."

"Really? You mean it?" Max giggled, "That movie must've been shitty."

"Yeah, it left out all the major plot points and made me regret seeing it- but that was a bad comparison, you're amazing and-" I hid my face in my hands, "-I'll stop rambling now."

"Keep talking, I like hearing your voice." He gently held onto my hands, moving them off of my face and onto his thighs. "It's soothing..."

"R-Really?" I stammered as my hands drifted to his waist, pulling him closer. "I...like your voice too. I like everything about you."

"Like what?" He sat in my lap, watching my eyes drift down his body.

"I like how you talk in your sleep, I like how you blow bubbles in your bathwater to make suds, I like how you take the time to brush your hair until it's silky smooth and how soft your voice is in the morning when we wake up-"

"T-That's enough-" His face was redder than the sunset, "-I do not know if I can handle any more compliments!"

"Too bad!" I laughed as he gazed up at me, his glare sharp but his smile soft. "I love how well you lead people, and how you can light up- or demolish- a room. I love how selfless you are when you care about someone, and how loyal you are even when it's dangerous."

"Nathan I-" He buried his face in my neck, his arms tightly wrapped around me, "-It is unfair for you to do all the confessing...I would like to say how I...feel too."

"I'm all ears," my heart raced as I anticipated his words.

"I am not used to- or good at saying how I feel but I'll try my best!" He fidgeted with his fingers as he scooted off my lap and in front of me, "I like how patient you are with me. I like how you take care of me even when I reject your care. If I were mated with anyone else they would probably get their scent glands removed so they wouldn't have to deal with me."

"Not true-"

"Very true! I'm a spoiled prick who still throws tantrums and I do not control my emotions or actions yet...you still care about me." He pushed his bangs over his eyes as he sniffled, "Sorry I'm becoming emotional again-"

"I love how emotional you are." I kissed his forehead, lifting his bangs as he smiled. "I'd rather you be emotional than distant."

"But what about when I slam doors and steal your clothes-"

"And you wake me up with kisses and hold onto me when you walk- which is adorable!" I cupped his face, covering him in kisses. "Sure, things get frustrating sometimes but we've always found a way to work through it."

"I...I'm just worried that your mother is right- that all I can do is spread my legs for you and bear children..." He hid his eyes again but the tears fell down his face. "I mean she is right, I do not know you as well as I'd like to!"

Max's POV

I felt foolish for even bringing his mother up but her words had indented in my mind. What if she was right? What if I was good for nothing but my body? What if she was only trying to warn me of my impending heartbreak? I knew my insecurities were just that- insecurities, but I could not stop them from ruining our beautifully romantic date.

"Then we can go on as many dates as needed, until you know everything you want to know." His warm smile and caring caress calmed my nerves. "We don't have to rush."

But what if I'm pregnant? Father will expect us to marry and so many other things!

"But...what if we have to rush? What if I'm with child" I couldn't look him in the eyes as I felt his body tense, "I do not want to force you into a commitment-"

"Max, I want a family with you." His words made my mind stop racing and soothed my rapid pulse. "A big one, say maybe five- no, seven kids!"

"Seven?!" I was unprepared for such an eager response. "But what if we are to wed-"

"Well when we get married we can always have more!" Nathan looked up at the sky smiling, "I want a family with you, one big enough to fill at least half of the rooms in the villa and all the rooms in your estate. I want to get married and watch you walk down the aisle and have a big reception. I want to brag to everyone how lucky I am to be loved by you."

"So you do want a family with me? And to get married?" My brain couldn't process it, how could he want an omega like me?

"I'll repeat it until you believe it if I have to!" Nathan tilted my chin up, forcing me to look in his eyes. "Max, I want to spend my life with you."