VⅠⅠⅠ

Nathan's POV (Hours prior)

I crumpled to the floor, the groin pain becoming completely unbearable as I gagged on my own saliva. All I could think about was him and his face and his voice and it was driving me mad. I had asked the butler to lock me inside the bathroom only to end up banging on the ebony wood door and begging to be let out.

I need him, no- I want him

I have to fight through this

I was sitting in a puddle of my own sweat, my clothes thrown across the bathroom as I tried everything I could think of to relieve myself. Cold water made my skin sting and burn as if I had put myself in an oven. Touching myself...I was too embarrassed and ashamed to even get close to it. The idea was enough to make me want to soak my filthy mind in holy oil.

"Stop..." I tried to control my thoughts but it was pointless, the pain swelling down my waist a reminder of my situation.

Hot tears streamed down my face as I stumbled back to the shower, swallowing away my screams as I forced myself to stand under the water. I could handle the pain, I could handle the desire, I could handle the disappointment. I would go through every rut alone if it meant he was spared the pain of a feral alpha. I would bear all the agony if it meant he wouldn't be taken advantage of.

I just couldn't risk hurting him.

Max's POV - Current time

Why is he always so cautious? Am I that undesirable?

He was silent, laying his body on the edge of the bed as I laid in the middle. I don't know why I expected him to hold a conversation with me, but I did. I had hoped he would realize we needed each other but instead the rut made him distance himself more. He turned around, whispered goodnight, and turned his back to me as he squirmed. The only warmth I craved was from him yet all he offered me was a blanket. My mate was beside me yet I was alone, as if we were nothing but two strangers sharing a bed. I thought he had begun to understand and accept our situation but I was clearly wrong.

"Where are you going?" He shot up, finally noticing my presence as I relit the candle and pulled on my robe. "Max, don't ignore me-"

"You're ignoring me!" I quickly wiped away the tears trailing down my cheeks. "And now you expect a response!"

"I don't know what's wrong!" He threw the blanket aside, jumping to his feet as I struggled to open the heavy door. I squirmed away as he tried to wrap the blanket around my shoulders, the warmth from his hands making goosebumps bubble on my skin as my stomach churned. "What do you want me to say?-"

"Something! Anything!" I tugged the door open, dragging the blanket with me.

"Max, wait-" He followed behind me but I already knew he had nothing of value to say, "Please!"

"Please what?! You are only going to get my hopes up and then run away from me again!" I squeaked out, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. "I will not be left behind anymore!"

"Max, please I-"

"FIRST FATHER, NOW YOU! I WILL NOT LET MYSELF BE LEFT BEHIND ANYMORE!" I slammed the door, collapsing against it as I wept.

Nathan's POV

Dammit! Why is it so hard to tell him

I hated hearing him cry, and in the past week I had seen more tears on his face than I ever wanted him to shed. Just feeling his pheromones made me sick, the stress and anguish made me nauseous as if I had food poisoning. I spent hours banging on the door to the living room but all I left with was brushed knuckles and a sore throat.

I couldn't give up, even if I wanted to, my body wouldn't let me. I couldn't take more than 3 steps away from the door before my pheromones spiked and demanded I stay near. I could still feel the stress from him and it had only gotten worse. I couldn't just stand by anymore, I forced one foot in front of the other as I pushed the doors open.

I found him curled up in the dark, a thin line of smoke swaying from the candle on the coffee table.

"Max...Please," I tried to steady my shaking voice, "Please, I'm sorry..."

Silence. He blankly stared ahead.

"Max, I know I've been a horrible mate, an even worse alpha. I just-" Tears stung my eyes as I sank down to the floor, "-I'm so scared."

Silence. He sniffled as he buried his face into the pillow.

"I'm scared I'll hurt you-"

"If this is you trying not to hurt me I fear for what you'd do if you wanted to." He turned his back to me, throwing the pillow down.

"I know nothing I say will make anything better," I sighed, I could feel a migraine growing. "I don't know what to do-"

"I doubt you've considered this, but have you thought about not running away?" He sneered as he sniffled.

He's so hard to take seriously when he's snarky

"I don't want to run away but I don't have a choice!" I sat beside him, trying to calm my racing heart as he slowly turned around. "I can't control myself-"

"Maybe I do not want you to control yourself!" His tiny hands were squeezing into blocky fists, "Maybe I want you to be out of control!"

"Don't you understand how dangerous for you that is-"

"Oddly enough, I do not give a fuck." He grabbed the collar of my shirt, "I do not care what state you're in or how you look. I want you."

"Max-"

"I've wanted you- No, needed you- since the first time I saw you. The first time I heard your voice, I knew."

"Max..." I could hear my pulse echoing in my ears as he laid his hand on my thigh, tilting my chin towards him. "I want to let go...I just...I can't."

"Then we can work on it together," he whispered, his vanilla breath gently brushing against my lips. "We can be together...I need to know that you want that, Nathan."

I want to hear you say my name again...

"I want you," I didn't even think about it, it was like an instinctive push made my lips move.

"What else do you want, Nathan?" He slowly slid into my lap, resting his hands on my shoulders as his big ocean eyes looked up at me. "You know what I want, what do you want?"

Breed.