XXⅠV

Nathan's POV

"I want a seven layer cake, filled with raspberry mousse." Max paced as the servant hastily scribbled notes, "Do you want anything?"

"I want you to relax," I smiled. Max pouted as I gently pulled him onto my lap, "I'm just as excited as you are but I don't want you to exhaust yourself."

"Nathan, I cannot exhaust myself when I'm this excited!" He squirmed as I held him down, "We have so much planning and I need to speak with Father again about the guestlist!"

"But-"

"No buts! Come, we must discuss the colors." Max jumped out and dragged me down the hallway, "I want to make the manor as blue as the family crest. Are there any colors you'd like added? Perhaps green?"

Three weeks had passed and Max was still obsessing over the decorations. I still hadn't told him about the deal with his father and it was starting to make the pang of guilt become a barbell of despair. I knew I needed to tell him but I didn't want to upset him- especially when he was feeling better and back on his feet. Max's excitement was hard to match especially when he went around boasting to anyone who'd listen about how lavish our wedding was going to be.

"Something troubles you," he mumbled. "If you are having second thoughts-"

"No! Never! Max, I'm just nervous...I mean your father wants to invite over three-thousand people." I held him in a tight hug, my hands trembling. "I don't want to disappoint you."

"Mon amant, you are overthinking." His smile soothed my aching thoughts as he cupped my face, "Nothing you do will ever disappoint me. Three-thousand people will be there but I will only see you, no one else matters."

"I love you," I whispered. He always knew what to say.

"I love you more than you'll ever understand." He gave my hands a gentle squeeze, "Now let's go speak with Father."

Shit

It's normal for the groom to despise his future father-in-law, right? Max's father was insufferable- insistent on having tea time with me before breakfast and after dinner to discuss my "duties". Not only was he hyper-focused on my sex life with Max, he questioned my fertility. Imagine sitting in a room with a bigoted old man who lectured you on the importance of procreation and bloodlines. I wanted to ignore him but if he told Max about our deal, Max would question everything.

"It's good to see both of you," his father grunted.

"Same to you, Sir-"

"Maximus, we're to be family yet you still address me as your lord." He sipped from his teacup, staring straight at me as Max held my hand. "Sit, we still have much to discuss."

I waited for Max to sit down before sliding next to him, hiding my trembling hands in my pockets. What if he told Max? Max would definitely think I only wanted to marry him because his father threatened me to. Max and I had been communicating and trusting each other but this could be the end of that. All I wanted was for Max to be happy yet I always ended up making him miserable.

"Nathan, what's wrong?" He whispered, sliding his hand in my pocket as I trembled. "We do not have to speak with him if you do not want to-"

"It's fine, I'm just...cold." I forced a smile on my face as his father turned around.

"The wedding will be this Sunday. I know that is soon but with Max's health and his refusal to see a physician I know it is best for you two to wed immediately." Mr. Maximus passed a tray of cakes to Max, "I've heard of your fainting spells...your mother...she had the same symptom."

"Pardon?" Max and I said in unison, my hand squeezing his as he started to tremble.

"Both of you are smart enough to understand what I am saying, yes?" Mr. Maximus sighed, "I'm sure an heir will be announced soon."

"Excuse me," Max gagged. He ran out of the room as I followed behind him.

I hadn't brought it up to Max, but I also thought he was pregnant. His appetite had basically disappeared and he was randomly throwing up the little he did eat. He wouldn't let me shower with him or see him bare- not that he had to but normally he would invite me to join him in the bath. Max also wouldn't let any physician near his stomach, and whenever anyone got close to it I'd feel...protective. I also noticed Max's scent had changed and now it was stronger- sweeter.

"I'm sorry-" He gasped, fanning himself. "-I'm just...mildly overwhelmed."

"It's alright, I am too." I sat beside him as he slumped down the wall, sweat trickling down his forehead as he curled into a ball. "But I have you here, so things are bearable."

"What if Father is right and I'm-" he bit his lip so hard it bled, "-Not that I do not want to be but thinking about it was fine b-but now it feels too real!"

"Hey, hey, it'll be okay, Max." I wiped his lips with his handkerchief before pulling him into a tight embrace, "We'll figure it out just like we've figured out everything else together. You don't have to do everything alone."

"Thank you," his breathing slowed as tears streamed down his face. "I love you."

"I love you too." I held him close as my fingers ran through his hair, the minutes ticking by. No matter what the future held, we would face together and that thought brought me comfort.

Loud footsteps interrupted us, Max quickly wiping his tears as his father came into view. I never realized how bulky his father was but with his broad shoulders and sharp angled features I wondered how I missed it. He was what I would expect an alpha to look like, strong and dependable with a gaze that terrified everyone. I found my grip on Max tightening as he dared to get closer.

"Max and I have much to discuss-"

"Max is tired. You can speak tomorrow after he's had a night of rest," My teeth grinded together as he buried his face in my neck. "Tomorrow."

"Very well, he'll hear of our...discussion then." Before I could say anything Mr. Maximus turned on his heel and walked away. 

Max had fallen asleep in my arms, his pulse slow and steady as he snored. All I wanted to do was protect him, even if it meant hiding the truth. If he spoke with his father he'd find out the terms of our engagement, and I only wanted him to find that out from me. Max's father had gone missing before...people wouldn't suspect much if he went missing again...