XXX

Nathan's POV

His hand was warm under mine, gently gripping the knife as we slowly cut through the thick cake

His hand was warm under mine, gently gripping the knife as we slowly cut through the thick cake. Max trembled as his eyes widened, his face matching the raspberries as they landed on our plate. His face glowed as I held the fork to his lips, his eyes widening as he took the first bite. A happy hum left his mouth as he did a cute little happy dance. My heart fluttered as I continued to feed him, watching his smile spread from ear to ear with every fork-full.

"Nathan, you should have some too!" He flipped the fork around, "I do not want to eat all of it myself!"

I couldn't help but feel guilty for indulging in such a fancy dessert. The moment the moist vanilla cake hit my tongue the guilt melted away. The burst of flavor from the raspberry filling was in every bite of the light and fluffy cake, complimenting the meringue frosting. I closed my eyes, savoring each tangy bite and relaxing as Max fed me. 

"Do you like it?" Max gently wiped my mouth, "I can get a new one if you do not-"

"Max, it's perfect- you're perfect...this is perfect." My forehead rested against his, our pulses matching as I pulled him in my embrace. "I'm so happy..."

Tears stung my eyes, my arms tightly wrapping around him. Today felt like a dream- a fantasy. I had pinched myself so many times I could feel a bruise forming on my hand. Max was my husband now, and we were going to be a family in a few months. To our surprise, his family was ecstatic and pleasant. We dined with them until it was time for speeches, and we listened as each one congratulated us and gave us gifts.

The sunset greeted us as we said our goodbyes and got in the shiny white car. The car was decorated with daisies and gold ribbons, glistening in the light and shining in the dark as the sun disappeared. Max rested his head on my shoulder as he dozed off, the wind whispering around us as the car drove. Before I could fall asleep we arrived at the manor.

.。. :*☆~☆*: .。.

"Stay," Max mumbled. His eyes fluttered open before closing again. 

I smiled as I settled into bed next to him. My heart was still racing as the events of today replayed in my mind. I turned to look at my gorgeous husband, gently running my hands through his soft golden hair as his cheeks tinted pink. His body was warm in my embrace, comforting and soothing my infatuated thoughts. I cautiously laid my head on his stomach as he snored, listening to his low breaths. This was my life now-  married and making a family of my own.

Is this how it feels to feel...complete?

As I lay there, watching him dream, my mind wandered back to our first interaction. If you would've told me then we'd end up married I would've politely told you to stay away from me. I thought he was another classmate I'd have to ignore, but after one encounter he was impossible to ignore. I wouldn't admit it then, but I felt what he did before he confronted me about it. Maybe that's why I was so determined to dislike him. It felt strange to think back on life before him because life before him felt nonexistent now. Everything seemed like some sort of nightmare before him- and now I was in a heavenly dream.

My heart swelled as I reminisced, thinking of everything I loved about him. I loved the way his ears blushed- especially when he was embarrassed. I loved the way he naturally clung to me when we were in public. I loved his jealousy and how emotionally-intelligent he was. I loved his voice, his smile- the way his eyes lit up in the morning. I loved everything about him and everything he did. My entire life I had secretly needed- longed, for love. Now, it felt like his love was going to make my heart explode.

"Mon amant?" Max stirred, squirming a little as I lifted my head off his stomach. "Come here..."

"Yes?" My face set ablaze as he gently kissed my forehead, "What was that for?"

"For being the best thing that has ever happened to me," he smiled.

"I love you so much." I buried my face in his neck, his warmth sending tingles around my body.

"I love you too." His arms wrapped around my neck as I fell asleep, "And I cannot wait for what tomorrow brings."

I woke up the next morning, the warmth gone and a cold dread replacing my euphoria. My eyes slowly opened but...the bedroom felt different. My heart raced as my trembling hands pulled the blankets back. Max was gone, and in his place, a single piece of paper. I figured it was a note so I picked it up and gave it a read.