XXVⅠⅠ

Max's POV

"This is what he expected me to wear?!" I scoffed, "I look like a medieval maiden!"

The dress was made of thick fabric, cloaking over my skin and hiding it in its mass. Not only was it covering every inch of skin besides my face and arms, it was weighing me down with thousands of miniature jewels. The dress was a disappointment but the bouquet was beyond insulting! White roses?! In case you're lower class, white roses symbolize innocence and purity. Father had always lectured me on remaining pure for my future spouse when I was a child, and his disgust with Nathan for mating with me before marriage was another reminder of his standards. Purity was pointless in my mind, purity was just another life lesson pushed onto me.

This is what I get for grieving for that bastard! I cannot believe his death even saddened me- look at what he had the gull to order!

"Sire, the cashmere to make it was imported from-"

"I do not care where this horrendous fabric came from! I want it to burn like Father's body!" Part of me wanted to have this dress cremated along with him, the other part of me knew the dress deserved better.

"As you wish," the servant helped me wiggle out of the dress and quickly left.

Even in death, Father still managed to piss me off. The fact that he even had such a monstrosity made- how dare he waste our money and our seamstresses time! Sixty years of life taught him nothing but greed and dictatorial decision-making. Hell's doors finally opened and embraced him in flames, and his funeral would be a celebration of freedom.

"Max, are you alright?" Nathan slowly opened the door, "I know I should've knocked but you've been in here for hours and oh...you're naked-"

"I just finished my final dress fitting." I grumbled before pulling on some shorts, "I hate that dress."

"Then don't wear it," Nathan chuckled. He closed the door behind him as I impatiently tapped my foot. "Have a new one made."

"Our wedding is tomorrow! That is not enough time-"

"Max, you could walk down the aisle naked and I'd still marry you." His strong arms wrapped around my waist as his smile made my heart race, "It doesn't matter what you wear."

"I wish it did not matter but our guests are the high society snobs we need to impress. If our wedding is anything but sublime people will talk-"

"Let them talk!" Nathan firmly gripped my shoulders, "Let them talk about us. Let them spread rumors and let them judge from afar. None of them have the guts to say it directly to us, and none of what they have to say matters anyway. Max, I love you, and you love me. Everything else is irrelevant. Tomorrow is for us and us alone to enjoy."

His eyes sparkled in the light, as gray as the moon and as clear as an evening sky. He always knew what to say to stop my spiraling and tame my anxiety. I had been so busy raging over Father's inconvenient death that I hadn't spent much of my day with Nathan. As I watched him prepare tea, my heart swelled with adoration. My fiancé was a caring and sweet man, who rarely yelled and never put his hands on me. I knew of other omegas who were arranged to wed monsters, and I was one of the lucky few marrying for love. Nathan's voice made me feel safe, his embrace felt like home, and his kisses were intoxicating.

"You are right, tomorrow is for us." My heart raced as he smiled, my lips parting to sip the tea he made. "I love you."

"I love you too." Nathan hummed quietly as he pulled me onto his lap, "Now rest. We've got an eventful day tomorrow."

Nathan's POV

It felt surreal, like I was living a dream. If someone had told me a semester ago that I'd be here- holding a mate and preparing for my wedding, I would've recommended they seek therapy. Now my pretty little mate was resting in my arms like an angel descended from heaven. Tomorrow we would be exchanging vows in front of over a thousand people and then hosting an awaited reception. Everyone would see Max belonged to me-

What is wrong with me?

My thoughts were becoming more and more possessive as time passed. I kept telling myself I was protecting him but the more I thought about it the more I realized how selfish I was being. The disgust was starting to creep back up on me and my conscience joined it. How many people had I killed now?! Leonardo- I could live with his blood on my hands but there were times where I woke up from a dream filled with his voice...or thought I saw him roaming the halls...

"Nathan, what's wrong?" Max groggily whispered, his eyelashes fluttering as he woke up. "Do not lie and say nothing...I can feel your stress."

Should I tell him? Could he ever forgive me and my murderous tendencies?

"Talk." He grabbed my collar, yanking my face down. "I want to help but I cannot if you do not speak up."

"I murdered your father!" I squeezed my eyes closed, my heartbeat echoing in my ears.

He's going to leave me- He'll see the monster I really am and run away

"You say that like that's a bad thing," Max's laughter made my eyes open.

"You...aren't mad? Or repulsed?-"

"Nathan, I will always support what you do- no matter how illegal it is." He cupped my face, his thumbs stroking my cheeks and wiping away my tears. "Mon amant, my father was an obstacle, he was in your way and you removed him. I wish you would've spoken with me about it first and chose a more convenient time but at least the guests at our wedding will have something to gossip about."

I buried my face in his neck, mumbling apologies that I knew he would dismiss. I didn't deserve to be happy, I didn't deserve his forgiveness. I deserved to be rotting behind bars and eternally scrubbing the filth from my criminal hands. I could justify killing Leonardo- two wrongs don't make a right but they cancel out. With Max's father...I felt sympathetic.

"I don't deserve-"

"Do not dare finish that!" Max's azure eyes piercing and bright, "He's dead. There's no point in mourning a man you loathed. I will not let you guilt trip yourself into regretting your actions."

"And if I lose control? If I kill again?"

"Then we do it together," Max smiled sweetly yet his gaze was sinful. "I will do anything and everything for you...all I need you to do is ask."

"I...worry for our sanity." I was crying but I didn't feel sad, not anymore.

"There's nothing wrong with being a wee bit unhinged." Max pressed a soft kiss to my forehead, "Maybe I'll write that in my vows!"

"You still haven't written them?" I laughed as Max's face flushed ruby red. "What happened to Mr. Businessman's time management?"

"Well, I fell in love with someone who resisted all my charms," Max paused as our eyes met, "And then time started to fly by...and I realized how precious it really is."