Chapter 4.5 - Orian

Orian ~

For the second time in less than three hours, Orian was dumbstruck. Fucking hell, if this was the fairy at not remotely at full strength, there was no hope for him.

White hair so long it pooled over his lap had spilled out the second he pulled away the gossamer wrap. Tiny hints of silvery strands make it look like her hair sparkled.

She had pointed ears. Not entirely like her fathers, more pointed outward, poking through her hair.

All in all, his mate was downright fucking adorable and he would pull the spine out of anybody who tried to say differently. Even her lips were partially healed, red and puffy, but the cuts were gone.

Watching her pull the heavy white rope of a braid into her hands to pin it down, Orian stared at her , while she watched the world fly by. The drive was nothing new to him. Their father had blocked off any portalling from within the city as a safety measure, so there was plenty of foot traffic coming and going from the leaving point.

Familiar sights went by as they pulled up through town and further out.

This was just the city.

Their drive took them away from lavish buildings and pretty shops into the wilderness. Hell had plenty of layers , but the Serpentine family had created a barrier they patrolled around the Life Tree.  Lennox and himself lived at the training centre that overlooked five portals where they could hunt easier. His brothers overlooked the others, did their jobs and lead their soldiers.

They were the line in the sand against the ghoulish creatures that constantly tried to cross the border. Soldiers and sons all the same that risked their lives because they had to. Everybody needed each other to survive.

If one went down, the rest would soon follow.

"There are no plants?"

Lilly's soft voice brought him out of a thought train he was grateful now crashed. "Mm?"

"Plants. I haven't seen anything .. green yet." She sounded a little disappointed as the fairy leaned closer, her nose almost against the glass to see out.

"It's harder for nature to thrive down here. Between the heat and toxicity of the soil, growing things doesn't come naturally. It's either created with enchantment or lives at most for one or two days."

"Oh." His stomach pinched. That dejected noise alone had him wanting to uproot every tree he could find in every realm and plant them for her. A forest to run through and do.. Whatever else fairies did.

Frolik , for fuck sake.

Orian wanted her to frolick to her heart's content.

"I'll talk to some people. See if we cant even have plants brought through on a rolling order from other realms. More new things for you to see." 

That earned a small nod from her as they passed through the city gates and into the wild. An hour's drive that would typically be passed in boredom was significantly better when a fairy sat on your lap asking a million questions to ease her curiosity.

The empty sandlands gave way to a fogged hillside, thunder continuously roared as they drove to their destination. Lightning flashed, making Lillith nearly jump out of her skin. The dead remnants of a forest whizzed by, the soil like sludge.

Gradually, everything disappeared into a wasteland , several signs to warn others they were headed for dangerous grounds.

"Why is it so far away?" Lilly turned her pretty eyes on him again. Orian could feel tiny scales run up his spine, spring to life.