Chapter Twelve - Orian

Orian.

Standing under the showerhead as the water went from black to clear, Orian let it scald him.

His mind was elsewhere. 

The face on the Life Tree had been Lillith without a doubt in his mind. The book only proved it even more.

Had their father been planning this the entire time? Had he known from the minute he picked Lilly for their bride, who she was? Who he thought she would become?

So he could keep her under the thumb for his own use too?

For being his son, Orian knew surprisingly little about his father. Not how old he was, not how he came to power. It was just a fact he'd grown up with that the Serpentine name was always on the throne.

Scowling at the tilted wall as though he didn't want to have shimmed around the front of his mind for attention, the large demon splurged some shampoo into his hand and angrily scrubbed his hair until it was clean. Until the sludge had gone and his brain ached.

Several stitches had been woven through slices and gashes on his body, though there really was no need. Catalina knew he would be fine in another day, it wasn't as though they needed to waste the thread on him.

Switching the faucet off, he towelled, pulled on some sweats and threw his ass onto the bed. While Orian might act like nothing was wrong in public, his shoulder was killing him, aches and pains making themselves known.

It was a fucking miracle the three of them had gotten out of that realm alive with the sheer amount of ghouls on their heels.

He'd been shoving the pair of soldiers with him through the portal when a huge boulder slammed into his shoulder and back, knocking his dumb ass off balance. It hurt like a mother fucker then and still did now.

Outside, lightning flashed. The rain pummelled the window and Orian sighed. He liked the rain best. The pitter patter soothed his racing mind a bit more as he lay there , wondering if the plush bedding would swallow him whole for a while. 

Orian scrubbed a hand over his face.

From watching his fairy, even in a panic, she'd done nothing to protect herself. She'd done nothing more than petals falling from her hair and palms, some scrawny thorns on their fathers desk growing and cry. Her panic had brought the worst of him to the surface, trying to calm her by force just wasn't a good idea.

Their fairy just wasn't that strong and yes, maybe his mother was right , maybe she just had to train it– like an unused muscle– but it wouldn't change anything for him.

She still belonged to him. Still was his mate, fantastical legend Fae or not. 

Everything was just speculation for now.

But some recon would have to be done. The sisters would be looked into if their father wasn't already doing it. Her family history and heritage. Nobody knew what those other girls looked like under the veils , they could very well not even be sisters.

Another thunderous bang , a flash of light through his bedroom and Orian caught a faint knock at his door. Furrowing his brow as he stared over at the sound, it wasn't until another huge bang nearly shook the building the knock came harder, more urgently.

Fuck sake, couldnt he get a moment of peace in here? It was nighttime, relaxing, recuperating, night.

Up and reaching for his door handle, Orian opened the door to find his fairy on the other side, clutching a pillow to her chest. Her hair was mussed, ears poking through at the sides. A fucking adorable little nightie graced her frame as she stared up at him sheepishly.