Chapter Eight - Lilith

Lillith

Sleep didn't come.

Instead, Lilly was sat on the edge of the bed, fiddling with her dress in debate of putting it back on. Fritz had been kind enough to wash and dry it for her, the scent of something fresh coming off it.

No more smell of home on her or her things. Not that she'd brought much along with her. The only thing Lilly had packed into the trunk they'd taken was a trinket box with dry pressed flowers Geneieve had given her over the years, silly trinkets the girls had found and given meaning to. A blanket that had seen better times and some things to wear but Lilly simply couldn't bring herself to put it on.

To cage herself under those dresses, to feel the weight of her fathers hatred baring down on her when she'd stepped into this new page of her life.

Instead, Lilly had felt daring enough to put on one of the dresses the Queen had delivered to her. The pale colour reminded her of lavender hydrangea's, pretty purples threaded in and greens of the floaty , simplistic dress. Green like the colour of the boys eyes.

Nobody, in fact, had come back last night. The worry of what they were up to, what dangers were lurking out there, leaving the fairy tossing and turning more than she liked.

She shouldn't care. Really. But then what would become of her if anything happened? Would she be sent home again? Given to somebody else?
Running her fingertips over the soft material, she couldn't help but worry that Orian might be angry about what happened. About leaving her alone with Lennox. About him touching her , no matter how innocent it seemed.

Her cheeks burned at the very thought of it, the heat racing to the tips of her ears. Nobody should have that effect on a person. It was an experience she'd never had before and while Lilly might be innocent in that aspect with males, she knew enough that you didn't do those things if you just wanted friendship.

And Lennox most certainly wasn't after the friendship of his wife to be.

She would put her foot down the next time either of them tried anything. Absolutely. So the three of them could be clear about what was proper and what wasn't. But her stern inner voice wasn't entirely convinced she would have the will power to follow through if it was anything close to the sensation that had bubbled inside her in the dark with Lennox.

Pressing her hands to her cheeks for a minute in an effort to calm the pink colour, the fairy collected herself and stood. The dress she picked was backless , able to let her wing stretch and take in all the natural light it wanted, but she felt so exposed at the same time.

Too much skin out all of a sudden compared to the way she had lived for so long. Her unsightly scar was there for anyone to stare at.

Searching through the drawers, Lilly managed to come across a small shawl she could easily wrap around her shoulders instead. It would cover up her well enough for now.

With her hair flowing freely, Lilly had pulled the absurdly long length around to braid together as she hovered at the door. Was she supposed to wait for Fritz to come collect her? She didn't know her way through the place well enough to remember the way down again.

Five more minutes passed and the fairy reached for the handle, peering out into an empty hallway.

Shiny dark wooden floors lead to her left. While the room Lilly had been shown into was to be shared with the twins, it was the only one now occupied on the floor's, several more doors leading to empty guest rooms along the way in various states of decorating as she passed.

They clearly did what they could to change a soldiers barracks into a home.

Huge artworks were on the walls, along with some pictures that didn't look as though they were painted. If so, they were incredibly detailed. One even looked like Rune had taken it himself, the older brother a male copy of their mother with his golden hair and sunshine eyes.