𝟿. 𝙸'𝚖 𝙽𝚘𝚝 𝙰 𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝙿𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗, 𝙿𝚘𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛

Eventually, Esme's mark had stopped hurting. She kept it wrapped up with whatever ointment Molly had given her.

Remus and Tonks went back to Lupin Cottage, Esme offered to stay to help tend to George, just in case.

Esme sat outside in the grass, again, just looking up into the stars at the Draco constellation. "lié pour la vie." She mumbled to herself.

She distantly heard the front door open and then close. Curious, she stood and walked around the side to see who had left. It was Harry, walking off into the field with a backpack on.

"Going somewhere, Potter?" She asked, her hands buried in the pockets of her jeans.

Harry turned around, stopping in his tracks. "No one else has to die. Not for me." He turned back around, continuing to walk.

Esme followed behind. "For you?" She laughed. "You think Alastor died for you? Think the twin took that curse for you?"

That made Harry turn around once more, now slightly angry.

"You may be the chosen one, the Boy Who Lived, but we aren't all fighting just for you. It's bigger than that. We're fighting for freedom." Esme picked her hands back up out of her pockets, pulling up the sleeve that didn't bare her dark mark to reveal the many bite marks left by Fenrir along with old curse wounds. "We're fighting... so no one else has to experience things like this."

"Then.. Then come with me." Harry gritted out as she lowered her sleeve. "You know more about Voldemort than I do."

"Look who needs help now. And leave without your precious trio? They'd think I'd killed you." She sniggered. "You wouldn't last two days without your bookworm muggleborn. Besides, you still have a trace. And one of the Weasleys is getting married, i do fancy a party."

"I-I don't care about a wedding. I'm sorry, no matter whose it is. I have to start finding these..." Harry stopped himself, he didn't know how much Esme knew.

"Horcruxes. Yes, one of the spirits I know has told me about them." She crossed her arms back over herself.

"Then you know it's our only chance to beat him. And the longer we stay here, the stronger he gets."

"Don't you think I of all people know that? You haven't been on the end of one of his Crucios, Potter." She raised an eyebrow, then held out her hand. "Hand over the bag. Let's go inside before I imperio you."

Harry took for a moment, finally relenting and taking his backpack off his shoulders and giving it to her.

She turned and began walking back to the Burrow.

Harry walked silently for the most part, until he grew curious. "Malfoy... What happened to him?"

Her eyes flashed gold for a split second, something new they hadn't done before. "Don't talk about Draco. Make it a rule. I'll help you, and you don't talk about Draco."

Harry quietly nodded as they made it back to the front door. "Are you.. not coming in?"

She tossed his bag back at him. "I don't sleep much. Go back before Weaselbee realizes you're gone." She shoved him inside, closing the door behind him.

~~

The next few days passed by rather quickly. Bill and Fleur's wedding was on the 1st of August, Harry's birthday just two days before.

Esme stayed in the corner of the room with Dora and Remus during the small party they'd held for the Potter boy.

Esme always found more comfort in Remus, she blamed it on the wolf. She'd actually begun talking to Bill more as well, another wolf thing, she supposed.