11: Running Lines

"So," Malcolm began, "how's it going? You and Ryker threaten to kill each other yet?"

"Contrary to popular belief, I do not have anger issues and I can do my job without letting my personal feelings get in between," Ashton retorted with a roll of his eyes, making Malcolm let out a laugh.

"Well, good, you better do your job and do it the best that you can," the agent said. "Neither of us can afford for you to get fired."

"Yeah, yeah," Ashton muttered. The two stayed quiet for a bit as they ate dinner, before Malcolm spoke up again. 

"Your mother came by the office today," he dropped the bomb out of nowhere, almost making Ashton choke on the pasta that was in his mouth.

They were at a Michelin star restaurant, enjoying the chef's special, and Malcolm just had to bring up Ashton's mother and ruin everything. The poor actor could not relax for a single night without something or the other happening, it seems.

"Why? What does she want now?"

"Apparently you haven't been answering her calls lately," Malcolm said. "She heard that you were working with Eric Tate through one of her little birdies."

"Of course," Ashton chuckled bitterly. "She only cares to reach out because of that."

"Doesn't matter. You should call her back," Malcolm replied.

"Later," Ashton grunted.

"That's between you and her, I'm just the messenger," Malcolm shrugged nonchalantly. "But she said she's been wanting to see you for a while now."

"If that's the case then she could've stopped by my house instead of your office," Ashton retorted. "She probably just wanted to confirm the rumors, which you did."

"You know that she's a very...complex woman."

"Complex? That's an understatement."

Silence fell between them again, as Ashton played around with his food. Despite having an absolutely delicious meal in front of him, his appetite had died instantly at the mention of the woman that gave birth to him.

Ashton had spent his entire life trying to make his family proud. He thought he was finally over it, finally done hating himself for not being good enough for them, but one word about his mother and he felt like he was once again a fourteen year old boy listening to his parents lecture him about how he would never amount to anything. How he was a disgrace to the Archer legacy.

"Your food is getting cold," Malcolm said. Ashton didn't say anything back, he didn't even look at his agent, making the older man sign. He was probably regretting talking about family when they were out having a good time. "You don't have to call her back if you don't want to."

"I will," Ashton's voice was low. "Later."

"Okay. It's up to you," Malcolm said. "Anyway, did you watch Lily Darwin's latest interview? What a disaster. I feel terrible for her PR team, they've got their work cut out for them if they want to salvage her reputation."

"She's getting absolutely roasted online," Ashton noddes.

"Poor girl."

Ashton was about to say something back when he heard a familiar laugh. A sound he hadn't heard in a very long time. He looked to the side, his eyes widening in surprise as his gaze fell on Maria.

As if feeling that somebody was looking at her, she turned too, their eyes meeting.

~~~