13: Reel Or Real

"How could you do this?" Ashton said, the corner of his lips turning downwards in a disappointed frown.

"You don't know what it's like to be in my place," Ryker replied. "To love somebody that's never going to look at you the same way."

"Bullshit," Ashton spat. "Don't give me these stupid excuses. You tried to kiss my girlfriend behind my back and this is what you have to say?"

"Look, I was drunk and—"

"Doesn't matter! You tried to kiss my girlfriend. Period. I thought we were friends and this is what you do when I'm not around?"

"I didn't mean to..."

"Does our friendship not matter to you?" Ashton asked. "You know what? Fuck this. I'm done. I never want to see your face again after tonight."

"Wait, no—" Ryker tried to grab Ashton's arm as he was about to leave, "don't go! Please, Ash!"

"Cut!" Eric yelled, sighing in frustration.

Ryker immediately moved away from Ashton, as both the men turned to face the director. Ashton folded his arms in front of his chest, his expression tired and bored.

"Ryker, mate, what the fuck?" Eric deadpanned. "When the camera is on then he is Luke, not Ash for Christ's sake. This is the third time you've done this!"

"I'm sorry," Ryker muttered. "Won't happen again, I swear."

"I sure fucking hope so," Eric grunted. "Fine, we'll take it again from the last line. Good job with the scene, Ash. Very authentic."

"Thanks," Ashton replied. He wanted to scoff at the irony of it all, but he resisted the urge to do so.

"Take two... Scene fifty one... Action!"

Thankfully, Ryker didn't mess up again. They wrapped up the shoot soon after and everyone was free to go home. The three actors had the next day off as a different set had to be built and arranged, and Ashton couldn't wait to relax. He could go to a spa and get a massage, or just lay around in bed all day and catch up on some shows. Who knows? Maybe he could do both. Regardless of whatever he would do, he was more than ecstatic for the short break.

Ryker didn't even glance at Ashton as the two of them walked over to their designated chairs for the crew to take off their make-up and what not. This was how it had been going ever since that time the two rehearsed lines together in Ashton's trailer, three weeks ago.

Ryker was dedicated. He wasn't saying a word to Ashton that he didn't absolutely need to, and kept his distance whenever they were off the set. Ashton was grateful for it, he no longer had to worry about Ryker bothering him or pestering him to talk. But there was a part of him that felt... empty. As if there was something missing.

It did create a little bit of tension too, especially when they were around other people. But they weren't letting their personal issues come in between work. Not anymore than the usual mishaps that actors made during shots, so as long as that was the case— nobody complained. Or seemed to care.

"So! What are you both doing tonight?" Tabitha asked, sipping on her watermelon juice as she stood in between the chairs of the two men.

"Catching up on some much needed sleep," Ashton replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"Same," came Ryker's short answer.

"Boring," Tabitha tsk-ed. "I think we should all go out. You can catch up on your sleep all day tomorrow."

"I'm kinda tired," Ashton said.

"I'm in," Ryker paused. "Where do we go?"

"We can go grab dinner first and then decide the plan after that. My fiancé really wants to meet you both too, so if you don't mind can they join as well?" Tabitha asked.