Chapter 22: Aftermath

After witnessing the destruction of the Sanctuary, Princess Alexia, Princess Rose, and Natsume were now walking back to the city.

Alexia: What we saw back there....

Rose: It was probably Shadow's and Eclipse's....

Alexia stopped walking.

Rose: Alexia?

Alexia: Doesn't it just kill you

Alexia: Doesn't it just kill you...?

Rose: Kill me?

Alexia, Rose, and Natsume turn to look at the now flooded Lindwurm.

Alexia: We couldn't do anything. I thought I had accepted the fact that I'm powerless. But there's more to it than that.

Alexia: Who was right and who was wrong..? I couldn't even judge between good and evil. All I could do was stand there as a helpless spectator.

Alexia: If things stay this way, if I never learn anything, then I'm going to lose all the things I care about before I even know they're in danger. That's the feeling I get.

Rose: I've been thinking, too. Ever since the Academy was attacked the other day, I've felt there are massive organizations working in the shadows.

Rose: But we don't know anything, not about Shadow Garden, or about the organization they're at war with.

Natsume: Then what are you going to do about it, Princess Alexia Midgar?

Alexia: We're weak, and we're ignorant. But if the three of us work together, we should be able to do something. After all, I'm princess of the Midgar Kingdom, and Rose is the princess of the Oriana Kingdom, and you, Natsume Kafka. As an author, surely you have a network of connections you can use.

Alexia: We'll work together to gather information.

Natsume: And what will you do with the information you find?

Alexia: That depends on what it is. But I'm thinking maybe the three of us can join forces and fight back. We'll recruit allies, establish a base of operations....would that work?

Natsume sighed.

Natsume: Not even a shred of a solid plan.

Alexia: Well, I said we'll gather information first! We'll analyze it and then decide!

Natsume: That would be nice, if you had the intellect to analyze anything.

Alexia: Did you say something?

Natsume: No, nothing at all.

Alexia: So what do you say? Are you with me, or aren't you?

Rose: I'll join you. I don't have much to offer, but I do have a bit of influence.

Natsume: I'm in, too. I'll use my writing connections to do some research.

Alexia: That settles it then, we're officially a team.