Chapter One

With the night came storms and rain. I sat on my balcony, sipping my hot chocolate and taking deep breaths as I contemplated the stunning sight of rain falling from the sky. I took a look at my journal and started burning it. Like any other diary, I write down the things that I don't want anyone to know —secrets I have always kept deep in my heart— and burn them when I am done so no one will know. This way, I can leave behind the pain that life causes me. I know it's stupid, but what can I do? It has become a habit. It was nights like these that reminded me of him. I sighed heavily at the one person I would love to forget. But no matter how many journals I write or how many times I burn the words I kept unsaid, I can never truly forget him. A few tears left my eyes. I quickly wiped them.

My name is Katherine Scarlett Warner. I am 25 years old now and never knew my parents. They died the day after I was born. So I never got to know them, and I wish I had. I always wanted to start my own business. I heard from my adoptive parents that this was my father's dream; he wanted me to start my own business and take over his company when I was capable and old enough. But every time I came close to fulfilling that dream, I faced obstacles, and one of those obstacles was Aaron Lawrence.

He is the most alluring man I have met in my entire life. I hate him. I hate him to death. His soul, his heart, and his mind—all of his sinful perfection He is the creation of the devil. Like most people, I was his victim. His prey. But I refuse to be his. I refuse to be his possession. He destroyed everything I held dear, and now I will be the cause of his misery.

The next day, I woke up to an emergency call from my adoptive parents, asking me to meet them as soon as possible. I finished my morning routine and headed home to my parents. I do not stay at their house because I hate some of the people stuck like vermin in that damn house, not to mention the toxicity.

I started worrying as I saw my parents standing outside, looking distraught. I knew something was wrong. I could see the fear in my parents' eyes, and I prepared myself for the news they were about to share with me. I could feel the tension in the air. They explained to me what had happened. I know I said I was prepared for any news, but this was beyond my wildest nightmares.

My older sister, the mafia queen, was killed in action, and now I have to take over because my parents are too old. I despise my sister more than ever. Why did she have to die and leave me this meaningless possession? This could bring him closer to me. Just the thought of him being close to me again makes me sick. But I was forced to say yes to my parents.

I went to the one place where I could relax. The cool air, the beautiful scenery, and the soothing touch of the water always made me feel good, but sometimes that was not enough. Everything was happening so fast. I needed time to process it all.

At that moment, I saw someone not far from me. It was him. He did not have the typical cold aura. He seemed sad and distressed. I didn't know why I was interested in him; I loathed him. I really hated him.

Suddenly, I felt the need to talk to him. As I approached him, I had a feeling I could not describe. Shockingly, he seemed surprised and relieved to see me.

"What exactly are you doing here, sugarlips?" Aaron inquired.

"I often come here to find peace of mind, Bear." I explained.

"For one thing, I am glad you are here." Aaron said this, looking me in the eye, which somehow made me feel better. Why do I feel this way? I hate him; he's done so much damage to me.

"And why is that?" I asked, annoyed.

"I guess I just wanted you to be around."

"Why?"

"So I could lock your plum lips." Aaron grinned.

Well, that didn't take too long.

"First of all, you have not even touched them yet, and second of all, I regret coming here. I am leaving." I tried to leave, but he grabbed my wrist and spun me around, so I fell onto his hard chest. Damn.

"Come on, babygirl," he whispered in my ear, and my knees buckled.

I hate the way he makes me feel. I hate him so much.

"Screw you. I thought you were not feeling well, so I wanted to cheer you up, but you seem fine, and I don't want to be here anymore!" I said this as I extricated myself.

"The last thing I heard was you despising me. Why do you want to cheer me up?"

Aaron spoke in his husky voice as he approached me, and I took a step back.

"Maybe you," Aaron said, pausing. "Love me?" He had that grin on his face that made me want to disappear more than anything in this world.

"What? I could never love you, Mr. Aaron Lawrence."

I despised him.

He thinks he can betray me again. But I'd never let that happen. I was a fool to trust him once. I won't be a fool again.

"If that's the case, why are you still calling me Bear?"

His words made my eyes pop open.

"Cat got your tongue, Sugarlips?" Aaron said, raising one of his eyebrows.

"Wh-what?" I cursed myself inwardly for stuttering. Nevertheless, I cleared my throat and said, "That was an unfortunate mistake, Mr. Lawrence."

I turned once more to leave, but this time it wasn't his hands that stopped me, but his words.

"I heard you were going to be the mafia queen. Don't take the job."

I gave him an evil look. His words made me angry.

"And why would I ever listen to you? Who do you think you are? You don't own me. I'd never let that happen."

"This is a dangerous world, sugarplum, not a fairy tale." His voice became even sterner and more severe. I'd say he was even more worried if I didn't know better.

"I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. Besides, I've already experienced hell. I'm not afraid of anything anymore, not even death."

This time I took a step toward him and said, "Be careful, Mr. Lawrence, because I'll go after anyone who has wronged me. You'll all pay your price." I said this as I grinned at him and left.

He was shocked, and rightfully so.

I've never been one for revenge or any kind of retribution because I always forgive and forget, but not this time.

Everyone thinks they can tame me, but now it's time to show them who I really am. I'm ready to make them regret ever thinking they could interfere in my life. I'm ready to stand up to them and show them that I'm not to be messed with. I'm going to show them all that they messed with the wrong woman. I was born to be a queen, and I only let that lunatic take the job because I was busy with other things. It's time for all the secrets to be revealed.

It's time to show who I really am, not a disguised version of myself.