Chapter 20: Assault on Altaras

Central Calendar Year 1639, Month 11, Day 9. 3rd Foreign Affairs Department, outer gardens of the Paradis Palace, Parpaldia Empire

"What did you say!? The Imperial Oversight Army to the Fenn Kingdom got defeated and the subjugation failed, too!?" Kaios thundered towards his subordinate who delivered the news.

"Bring me the report! On the double!"

"Yes, sir!" said the subordinate before he raced out of Kaios' office and returned with three-page documents containing information regarding the defeat of the Oversight Army.

"Lost contact with all twenty dragon lords... Three ironclads - Mamiz, Cummasharo and Paos, and eleven ship-of-the-line; were destroyed... Only eight vessels survived; the ironclad Washinashi and Galiass, and eight other ships of the line with their masts had been broken, hence unable to sail... Mass casualties..." The Director of the Third Foreign Affairs Department muttered as he carefully read each line of the report.

Words by words, and lines by lines, a vein popped on Kaios' forehead, a sign that he was furious that it seemed probable for blood to start spurting from his head any moment until he reached the sentence, "Two massive ironclad-like vessels with a single-mounted battery of magic cannon... All hundred shots are confirmed hits!?!"

The report papers in his hands were crumpled due to his overflowing anger.

"Curse you, Admiral Poquetoire! Reducing the losing battle's damage estimates and wanting to lighten his responsibilities! You've gone way too far!" yelled Kaios before he threw away the reports.

It took a moment for the elderly Parpaldian man to calm down before he could resume.

"Sheesh... We cannot lose the first initiative to the 1st Foreign Affairs Department! It seems like we have no other choice but to start the investigation concerning the alliance of the FPDA..." said Kaios.

"Uh? I thought that we had turned down their officials, sir. Why is that so?" asked his subordinate upon his statement.

With a sigh, Kaios replied with a sombre tone, "It's all because of yesterday's meeting with the Topan ambassador,"

.

.

A day before

"Wha? What did you say!? You aren't going to send any slaves from now on!?" Kaios shouted at the ambassador of the Topa Kingdom.

"Yes, Mr Kaios. The Topa Kingdom, at this moment, has declared to stop enslaving our citizens and send them to your Empire," the ambassador of the Topa Kingdom spoke with a firm tone.

"Hmph! If that's the case... Your nation will be suspended from the technology share arrangement, forever!" thundered Kaios.

At first, Kaios thought that threatening the Topan ambassador to stop the export of tools, nails and other essential items would force him to give in. Yet, he received a different response when the Topan ambassador gave an annoying chuckle.

"What!? You're thinking that it's hilarious?" asked Kaios, before the Topan ambassador cleared his throat and spoke seriously.

"Mr Kaios. From here on, we don't need the Parpaldia Empire to help us build our nation... We already have the FPDA to rely on... Either it's by technology or economy..." said the ambassador before he snorted with a smirk, ending the conversation.

.

.

Fast forward to the present

"And guess what? After the Topan ambassador said so... One after another from the... I don't want to use that term... They came to my office and mentioned the same thing! Even the one from that foolish Sios Kingdom!" said Kaios, letting out a fuss as he retold everything.