6. Keep it calm

Right before FP3
I was standing in front of the mirror, staring into my own eyes like a psychopath.
Alright, Kayla, calm down. It's just a practice, and the expectations aren't that high since you're a rookie and a girl. You'll go out there, give your best, and optimally don't crash or, worse, die.
I walked into the box, searching for Oscar, because i wanted to wish him luck for the day, since we won't really have a chance of talking, due to filled up schedules.
I gave him a fist bump and a little hug, and then we both got ready and into our cars.

Just stay calm,Kayla I said one last time. And then I left the box. I wanna beat everyone, as much as I have respect for the people outside of the track and get along with them, it doesn't change how I wanna beat them on track. If anything, I wanna beat them even more.

"And you're P6, Kayla, P6. Very good job."
"Yeees guys, but that was just a practice, confident for the Qualifying now."
"Enjoy the butterflies, Kayla. Well done."

Before Qualifying
I was already in the car, waiting until I could go out on the pitlane at the start of Q1, when a hand reached under the halo, trying to give me a fist bump. I gave him a fist and looked up. It was Lando. I didn't know if I was happy to see him or mad that he doesn't rest.
"What are you doing here?" I screamed against all of the sounds surrounding me.
"Hello to you too."
"Go back to bed, Lando."
"I came to wish you good luck and see you performing." he smiled
"Thanks, appreciate it."

Q1
Only a few minutes later, I was out there, between all the high-performance athletes. My hands were trembling, not very optimal. While waiting for the lights to turn green, I tried to calm myself down a little by controlling my breathing. It worked, but not for long.
The lights turned green, and the first few cars entered the track.
Suddenly, all the confidence I gained earlier left me. But I had to go, only a few seconds later I entered the first turn.
I tried to do everything the same way I did in FP3. But the first few laps were bad, very bad.
However, I managed to control the car after a few laps. Now I drive the car and not the other way around.
"Ok Kayla, you're currently P17. Your last lap needs to be good, concentrate."
I just said "Yep" cause I was already trying to concentrate, and to be honest, he didn't really help with it.
Even though my whole body hurt because of the G-Forces and I was very nervous, I managed a lap time that put me on P14.
"Beautiful, Kayla, well done, now come in and keep it calm."

In the box, I got a few slaps on my helmet while I emptied a whole bottle of water.

Q2
It was not good. My lap times were very bad. I wasn't feeling it.

Lando POV
Kayla isn't performing well. I guess she is in her own world again, thinking about everything and everyone. Wait, everyone, that's it.
I ran over to the pitwall, asking if I could talk to her. With a bit of begging, I was allowed.
"Hey Kayla, it's me."
"Hi Lando, I'm sorry, I'm driving like shit, I'm mad, don't have any confidence left, and nothing works how I want it to."
"Kayla, stop for a second."
"What?"
"I want you to know that I meant what I did yesterday night, ok?"
Silence...
"Now get yourself and the car together and show them what you are capable of."
Silence again...

Kayla POV
Wow, not what I expected, but what I needed.
I needed the butterflies and him telling me to try my best. Any other person wouldn't get into my head like he just did.
I smacked against my helmet, trying to get the last bit of concentration out of me.
Driving like I did before, all the years before, no fear, just adrenaline, me, the car, and the track.
And while crossing the line, I felt relieved not even knowing what position I'm in, but I was happy that I made it.

"P9, Kayla, megaaa job," Lando screamed into the mic.

I was happy, very happy. My first ever Qualifying, and I'm in Q3. Q3, it feels beautiful to say.
However I will perform from now on, doesn't matter this much anymore, since I made it into the top ten, which is a really big achievement for someone like me.