16. Trusting

He walks to the passenger side of his car. I assume that he wants to open the door for me and follow him, but he turns around and holds the keys in front of me.
I’d love to be your passenger princess, love”
No way, my confidence is telling me that I will end up in some building.
“Lando...no”
You’re an f1 driver, Kayla. You should be able to drive my car through the city.” He enters the car, throwing the keys at me, leaving me with no choice.
“Landooo” I sigh and walk over to the driver side. You got this Kayla, why are you so nervous, it’s just a car. His car, that’s why. I then feel weird for having conversations with myself in my head all the time and shut the thoughts out.
I enter and see Lando smiling at me with a smirk.
“Let’s go” he says as I start the car. I am flashed with the beauty of this car all over again. It sounds so mighty.
It is, as Lando said, quite easy to drive the car through the streets of Monaco. And I can feel him looking at me the whole time.
What?” I ask, laughing.
“Do you really want to do this during the race?” his face and voice staying serious.
“Lando, we were over this topic. I do.”
He sighs ,“Kayla, do you even know what you are looking for?
I didn’t answer, cause I don’t know the answer to this question.
Thought so.”
I ignore him, looking at the streets.
Just don’t do it. For me. Okay?
Lando, as much as I would want to let this topic be itself, I can’t just ignore what I have heard and seen and what you told me. I am a reserve driver, I don’t have that many duties, so I like to find my own.” I state while Lando looks at me speechless.
How can I change your mind about this Kayla? I don’t want you to do this, like, do you even know where you would go first? Do you have a plan or something? Or are you just gonna take a walk through their garage and hope someone tells you all their secrets?”
You can not change my mind, Lando. I will decide spontaneously on what to do and where to go. End of this discussion now.”
He takes it literally and is silent. “We can talk about anything but this.” I try to get him talking again. He is lost in his thoughts. “Lando, where do I go now?” standing in front of a red light at a crossing. Silence. I shake him as the light turns green and the cars behind me start honking at us. “What” he asks being pulled out of his thoughts. “WHERE DO I GO NOW”? I repeat myself stressed. “Left.” “Thank you.” I am able to drive over the crossing right before the light turns red again. “Sorry” I mumble to the cars behind me.
What about your family?” He asks, referring to me saying we can talk about anything.
I look at him confused after he changes the topic.
They’re back at -yourcountry-”
“Do they visit you at races?”
“Well they did, but since I don’t have any at the moment, they aren’t.”
“Dyou have siblings?”
“Yeah, two big brothers”(sorry if you don’t have siblings or big brothers, you do now)
Uhhhh, the protectors?” He asks, and I hear him being a bit worried about himself and his well being, when meeting my family one day.
“Kinda, yeah.” I laugh at the view of him being stressed.
Now left and were here.”
“Alright.” I park the car as we reach one of the tiny parking lots, turn it off, and sit there for a few seconds with my hands still on the steering wheel. “Thank you, Lando.” “What for?” he smiles at me. “Trusting me.” “No problem, why wouldn't I .” He laughs and opens his door.