24. Just do it for me

Lap 26
The race went without complications for now, great to watch, and a few interesting battles on the tight circuit of Monaco, when suddenly the drivers began to report rain around Turn 3-9. Judging from the sky, that race could be fun. Dark clouds obscure the sky, which was summery just a few minutes ago.

The big screens show Zhou and Hulkenberg at P17 and P18 passing Casino (T4) having the most interesting battle at the moment. I see something on the screen turn yellow, showing a yellow flag in sector 3, in the corner of my eyes while watching Max with an impressive lead driving by. I think about the worst stuff in the time F1 needs to stream the right cameras.

Please don't be Lando, I was thinking, Oscar, neither. The track sectors that could be wet were turn 5 until the end of the tunnel, that's where it has been reported and shown. Lando un 11th and Oscar being 8th could still be in S3. I feel my muscles tensing until the camera shows Lance, who spinned off at Hairpin. I relax a little bit because the crash doesn't look too bad but clearly caused by missing grip.

Shortly later, the race is red flagged, and the cars start coming into the pits. The crash wasn't bad, but debris is spread in a wide range.
The cameras show a frustrated Lance and drivers getting out of their cars to speak to their engineers.
I see Lando, and he looks sad, not very proud of his achievements. But I am, and I felt the urge to tell him that, while seeing some frustration and pain in his eyes on the screen.
I excuse myself and make my way downstairs towards the box.
As I get there, he is talking to a group of people, engineers.
His gaze catches me, and he's excusing himself to the people he's talking to.
"Hey, what are you doing he-"
Before he can finish his question, I open my arms and embrace him into a hug.
After a moment, his arms move on my back.
"You know there's a camera behind me, kayla?"
"You told me to not care."
"Ok, true." There was a short silence (how do you call it when a hug ends? Unhug? Ikd😭)
"You're a fast learner."
"I know."
"Lando, get ready," someone yelled through Landos part of the mclaren garage.
"Yeah," he yelled back.

"Lando wait-"
"What."
"What's going on?"
"What do you mean, Kayla?"
"You seem off. Different somehow."
"Kayla, I really have to g-"
"Is it because of earlier."
"Yeah."
"Lando concentrate on the race, please. You are capable of finishing in the points today."
"But -"
"Just do it for me."
He sighs, "Kayla, I don't know if I can focus."
"But I know you can."
"Thank you, little motivation coach."
"Landoooo get back in the car" someone calls out again.
He is about to leave as he turns back. Takes my chin and kisses me. I don't know if he's aware of the camera, but honestly, his words earlier made me not care anymore. I kiss him back.
"Now go," I look into his slightly happier eyes.
"Thank you, Kayla."
He leans next to my head and whispers, "I love you, dwarf."
"Love you too."

He leaves, and I take a look at the screen showing the live stream. I'm on it. I just wink into the camera that was still in the same place as earlier and turn around to get back upstairs to Lily, who probably saw all of that.
Why did I wink? So, seconds later, I am here cringing about past me already.
That's when my dumb ass tripped over my own feet. But I could catch myself before falling.
I quickly turn around to see if somebody saw, luckily noone was there.
So I laughed about myself, as I do every time I do something stupid.
That's when I felt a hand on my shoulder-

AN
I am so sorry for the lack of updates but I just had an internship as a car mechanic (interesting af).
But now I'm back🫶